Chapter 19.

19一 your expectations burn me

༻𖥸༺

LILY HAD AN ARGUMENT WITH THE woman that brought her what she was to study in the foreseeable future. She didn't know what it had been about, but the loud yelling of her normally composed caretaker was enough to tell her things weren't going in a way that pleased Lily.

Athanasia, for her part, didn't really mind the mountain of books she had been given. They were boring in general, with lessons on management and accounting, but they were another way to pass time besides playing and eating.

Claude made time for her, she'd noticed a month after Athanasius' departure. Or perhaps he was filling the now empty time he reserved for his son with her presence. Either way, she'd rather him not stay too much with her. It unnerved her and she didn't know what comments and questions would garner what reaction from her father.

She was, however, thankful that he didn't spend that much time on her. If truth be told, he ignored her for a large duration of the days, and she couldn't be more thankful enough for that fact.

Accompanying the stacks of books were now lessons she was required to attend. Madam Iris一the woman who apparently managed her brother's palace一was her primary teacher for most of her studies. During these lessons Athanasia learned that the elderly widow had been the former empress's caretaker during her youth, fact which gave her enough clout in several political parties for the Crown Prince's agenda.

When Madam Iris was too preoccupied by something that couldn't wait for her attention, the little princess was taught by either Lilly, who tried to make the lessons as interactive as possible, or a woman she'd come to know as Lady Fallis. A tall woman with lavender hair and golden eyes that belonged to a neutral noble family.

During the course of her lessons with Every Fallis, Athanasia learned that the older woman had two younger siblings, twins, a girl and a boy and that the sister was engaged to some regent head of a proeminent noble house whose name she couldn't remember, while the brother was training to become an imperial knight under Felix's tutorship.

When asked about Every's brother, the red haired man simply smiled indulgently and said that many a knight knighted under the Imperial Guard were former students of his, bringing into his responses references to her brother's guard dog, Kassian Claes, mentioning him as one of his oldest students.

With Felix's assurances, Athy quickly waved away the thoughts about Every's family. The older woman was nice and meant well, but dwelling on the matters pertaining a near-stranger's family didn't really sit right with her.

Today she was reading an account about the most proeminent noble families that were found in high society as homework from Madam Iris.

The formost proeminent families that supported the empire of Obelia were the Duchy of Alpheus that resided here within the Capital and acted as advisors to the Emperor; the House of Saint that mainly interacted with the lower class and the church and maintained the protective barrier of Obelia; the Grand Duchy of Banafrit whose stronghold guarded the North-most borders from mana beasts that threatened to enter the empire; and the Marquisate of Aegena, known to produce highly skilled mages that oftentimes entered the Black Tower to further their knowledge and power.