16| 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑻𝒘𝒐 𝑶𝒇 𝑼𝒔

1st May, 2028

Kaitlyn's POV

A week. It has been a week since Hayley's funeral. A week since we said our goodbyes. We didn't stay in New Orleans for long. Rebekah and Marcel went back to Paris, Kol and Davina left for New York and so did Damon and Elena. Bonnie, Enzo and Jeremy left too but Caroline stayed back. Most important of all, Elijah pretty much disappeared. He said he needed some time to himself and then just packed his bags and left without any further notice. He won't even answer our calls or texts so we don't know where he's at.

Besides that, the kids have been alright. Lizzie and Josie apologized to Hope for pushing her away and they're thick as thieves now. Hope seems to be holding on better now. Yeah sometimes when she's staying over, I hear sniffling from her room or when she's back the mansion, Nik calls to say he thinks Hope needs help so I rush there but besides the occasional breakdowns, she's been holding on well for the most part.

As for Nik and me, we've been alright too, I guess. We haven't really had time to talk about us or our situation now that we know the truth about Hope so for the most part, I'm sticking around the kids and making sure they're all fine. I can think about myself later.

Hope stayed here last night and right now, we're all in the kitchen seated for breakfast that Ric so kindly prepared for us all.

"So mom, what're we doing for tomorrow?" Lizzie asks as she munches on her cereals.

"We're not doing anything this time," I say. It's my birthday tomorrow and we usually have a family picnic or something of that sort on that day because birthdays are a big deal to me, but I don't think any celebration would be appropriate this time.

"But you can't do that to Hope. It's her first birthday with us too," Josie complains and my eyes widen.

"What?"

"Yeah, your and Hope's birthday is on the same day. Cool, right? We should totally celebrate," Lizzie elaborates and I gasp.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry Hope. I didn't know it's your birthday too tomorrow or I would've planned something," I say as I turn to her.

"It's alright, mo- um, don't worry about it. I don't feel like celebrating either," she says and I don't know if it was just me or did she almost call me 'mom'?

"We've got the planning under control, don't worry. Ryan and Madeline are already working on it with Aunt Care," Lizzie says and I try to interrupt but she won't let me, "no I know, so we're not doing anything extra. Just us, family at home, a few balloons, a cake, maybe some fireworks. That's all. I promise," Lizzie reassures.

"If it's you and Care planning, I somehow doubt that," Alaric chimes in and we all laugh as Lizzie glares at him.

"It seems like a good idea actually. Isn't this what you and dad kept telling me? That we need to move on and accommodate ourselves to this new norm?" Hope speaks up and I nod.

"Well then, this is the new beginning after...everything that happened. So maybe now is a good time?" Hope questions rhetorically and I smile at her.

"See this is why we're besties," Lizzie, Josie and Hope high-five before getting up, saying good bye and leaving for school.

"I guess we're having a party at home then," I say as I turn to Ric and he chuckles. We too then get into his car and drive to school.

༆☼︎☾︎ꨄ︎☽︎☼︎༆

By the time we reach school, the classes have already started. We get out of Ric's car and see the nine kids standing outside the entrance, gossiping.