Chapter 18

Habiba slouched on the bed, keeping the prayer mat by the pillow

Habiba slouched on the bed, keeping the prayer mat by the pillow. She was done praying her Zuhr salah. The red dupatta shielding her upper body and head earlier was now loosened and the baby curls peeked out from there to her cheek. A heavy sigh left her mouth. The big house felt like a cage for her then.

No sound of toddlers running and laughing all around the house was heard. The messy living room and the clit-clat sound of the lively kitchen didn't welcome her that day. Nor did her mother's yelling, annoyed by her father came to her ear.

"Why didn't he wait for me. We could've gone together." She pouted and blamed her brother for going out with Zayn, not taking her with them.

She was back home by noon as it was her half-day duty. Arriving home she was confused to see the empty house. To clear her bafflement she called her brother and got to know about their uncle-nephew date. She only rolled her eyes when hearing that from Amor.

Her parents also went to some friend's party. She was bored being the only one in the house. To kill her weariness, she showered, had lunch, did some cleaning here and there. By the time she was done praying the boredom consumed her wholly.

The sudden calling bell echoed in the empty house brought a bright smile to her lips. She sat up straight, wrapping the dupatta properly she ran downstairs.

She was utterly disappointed seeing a familiar and an unknown face, opening the door. Though she quickly hid her expression and showed a fake cheerfulness.

"Ms. Anderson, haven't heard from you in a long time!" She stepped forward and hugged the woman in formal attire, who did the same with equal enthusiasm.

"How have you been?" Breaking the embrace the woman threw the question right away.

Habiba smiled at her all-go happy face and replied, "Alhamdulillah, great. How about you?"

The woman replied the same and their small get-together was interrupted by the gentleman's discreet cough, standing beside them, ignored in the whole scenario.

Habiba finally took heed of him and noticed him in the same attire as Ms. Anderson. The only difference, he was wearing a tie where the woman's first two buttons of the white shirt were unbuttoned.

"Hello, I'm Jonathan Berg." He pushed some files in his left hand and extended his other hand for a shake.

Habiba bowed down and respectfully ignored his hand who understood her denial and brought back his hand awkwardly.

"Oh my God, how bad of me! Please come inside." Habiba realized they were still outside and quickly escorted them inside.

"Please have a seat," she told them and took her own seat on the single couch whereas they sat on the loveseat by the window.

"So, how can I help you guys?" Confusion was evident in her tone and it escalated more when she saw them exchanging a wary glance.

Before her further interrogation, the man took out a paper from the file he was carrying and stretched it out towards her.