Part 1

Violet

Monday

Violet tied her shoes, ready to begin practicing for her audition. She began her stretches, loosening her muscles and getting into the mood. Once she was done, she clicked play on her phone. The opening theme of Swan Lake drifted out and she immersed herself in the role of Odette, a cursed princess. Just as she was about to start her steps, a stream of notes erupted from next door. She stopped, turning her phone up to the highest volume.

Even on full volume, the piano playing next door drowned out her music, she wasn't going to get much practice in today.

Tuesday

Practice went by surprisingly well; she had made a lot of progress on her audition sequence. Luckily the piano player from yesterday hadn't been there so she could dance in peace. As she left the studio, she hoped the playing was just a one-day thing. This audition was really important.

Wednesday

She heard it before she'd even reached the practice room. The loud noise of piano keys being pressed at an alarmingly fast rate, whoever that pianist was, she was talented. Still, Violet had an audition to prepare for an this wasn't doing her any good. She tried to focus on her steps but ended up following the beat of the piano rather than her phone.

This was not good.

Thursday

A piano free day, again. It seemed like her neighbour came in on alternate days unlike her who spent all her free time at the studio. She took the opportunity she had and practiced as much as she could. Who knew how many pianist free days she would have?

Friday

Whoever she was, she was back. This time Violet even recognised the piece. Revolutionary Etude, not very helpful for her though. She needed Tchaikovsky and this person was playing Chopin. Pulling on her earmuffs, she set to work, she may not have the soundtrack, but she could practice her steps.

Monday

A new week, a fresh start. As she walked in, Violet prayed the pianist wouldn't be there. But as she neared closer, she could already here the onslaught of playing. She sighed, another day with the earmuffs it would have to be.

Tuesday

As suspected, the pianist wasn't here today. She grabbed the opportunity with both hands, practicing for longer than she strictly should. She hated to admit it, but it felt strangely lonely without the banging of keys next door. She brushed away the thought, she should be grateful she had a day to actually practice.

Wednesday

"You know if it's bothering you so much you should go speak to her," Sunny said.

Violet sighed. "But wouldn't that be a bit, you know, rude."

"Well, it's either that or only being able to practice two days a week. Vi, I know how much this audition means to you, and even though you are amazing even you can't do it with only two days of practice."

"I guess. Maybe she'll decide to play less explosive pieces, then I can concentrate."

"Hopefully."

Thursday

Sunny was right, Violet wouldn't be able to cut it with only two days of practice. She was already falling behind schedule and was so tired from school that she could barely practice today. Madame had even said in today's lesson she wasn't on form. If she wanted to get the role, she would have to do something.

Friday

The usual loud playing welcomed her as she came into the practice room. At this point she was faced with a decision, either find another practice room or go speak to the pianist. As she did her warmup, an idea formed, one less of an evil than her other options. Now she just had to figure out how to execute it.

Monday

Violet stood in the hallway, checking her letter again, making sure it conveyed her message. She folded it together with the Swan Lake sheet music in half and placed it outside the pianist's room.

The pianist who still hadn't stopped her war against the piano, playing the loudest possible pieces.

She knocked on the door and quickly slipped into her room, awaiting a response. Hopefully she hadn't offended her, she really did think the pianist was talented, just not playing the best things for her current situation. She waited listening carefully as the playing stopped and someone stepped outside.

Poppy

Poppy walked through the silent halls, it wasn't that the studio was unpopular, more that she was one of the few people who practiced once lessons were over. She went into the room and rifled through the sheet music box. Chopin's Etude Op 25 on 11, Winter Wind, perfect.

She pulled out the sheets, setting them at the grand piano and opening the lid. Warming up, she played a few notes, the sound drifting out.

Just as she was getting into the swing of it, a knock sounded at the door. No one was usually here at this time, not that she knew of. She got up and opened the door, only to find no one there. Feeling slightly unnerved, she looked around for a sign of who was there. This studio wasn't haunted right?

She noticed a slip of folded paper on the floor and picked it up, going back into the room to read it.

To the talented pianist,

I practice next door to you and up until recently, I thought it was just me here.

That was true, up until recently it must've just been her neighbour. She hadn't been practicing here until Mom got the new bakery and they moved towns.

I have an audition in two weeks and although I love your playing, it has drowned out my music. I was wondering if you could do me the immense favour of playing some of Swan Lake until then?

Thank you,

The dancer next door.

Guilt crept up on her, she had been so immersed in her own music she hadn't considered the others that could be listening. Luckily, this dancer didn't seem to be too annoyed with her.

Behind the letter were several sheets of music. She set them at the piano, Chopin was going to have to wait two weeks, she had a dancer to help.

She looked through her schoolbag, searching for some paper to write a response. Finally, she found her Maths book and tore out a page. It wasn't as fancy as the dancer's lavender paper, but it would have to do.

Quickly, she scribbled down a response in her only pen that hadn't run out of ink and opened the door.

Should she knock and personally hand it to her, or should she leave it on the floor? The dancer seemed to want to hide her identity, so she just knocked and slipped back inside her room going back to the piano.

Swan Lake Theme, not the hardest, but it was time she took a break from fast paced intense pieces. She set to work, playing it with an ease that only came from years of practice.

The sounds painted out the story she had heard of, the cursed princess and the prince. A tragic love story. She wondered which part the dancer was auditioning for. Perhaps she would ask her in a future letter, one not scribbled on a sheet from a maths book.

Even though she couldn't see the dancer, it was almost as if she could feel her presence, dancing along to the music she played.