chapter sixty-nine

season two ; episode eight { The Cross }
chapter sixty-nine

"GUYS, WE'RE COMING UP IN FREEDMAN'S CHURCH," Pope tells them as they continue to drive in towards their destination

"GUYS, WE'RE COMING UP IN FREEDMAN'S CHURCH," Pope tells them as they continue to drive in towards their destination. "The church Denmark built for all slaves he freed."

They continued to drive and the further on they drove, the less Brooklyn recognised where they were. Although, it appears they were heading in the right direction because right up ahead and down a very narrow path was Angel Oak.

John B was careful in driving down the very tight path to reach the tree but only discovered that the tide was coming in and almost blocking their path. "Oh, shit! Tides coming in. Um..."

"Hey, wait a second. Look." Pope pointed out to the tire tracks. "They already came through here. Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go."

"Mmm, what do you think, chief?"

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey."

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement."

"Okay, clearly, they made it. No?"

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that."

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah spoke. "Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

"She's got a point," Brooklyn says, turning her head back to the boys at the front.

"Speed is your friend here, okay? So, put her down in second and hammer down, brother," JJ told John B as he prepared himself.

"Stick to the ground in the middle."

"All right, ready? Here we go."

John B began to set off, driving directly in the middle and through the mud and the wet grass that was surly spitting everywhere on the van right now. "Come on, bro. Punch it. Speed is your friend. You're not going fast enough," JJ kept telling him.

"I'm in second," John B tells him.

"It's gonna slide."

"You're fishtailing already."

"I know," John B laughs, turning the wheel a little over to stick to the middle.

"Not to put any more pressure on you, but if you don't make it though, we'll be stuck here forever," Pope says, adding even more pressure to him.