When I First Met You

Tuesday, October 12th, noontime.

        That was the moment where a simple name became a face.  If the question were the first time I had heard of you, well then we'd be going back almost two months earlier.

        It was slow at The Cavern that day.  Honestly, and much to my shame, I probably wouldn't have set foot in that place if it hadn't been for that senior thesis.  Honestly, I never understood the point of it.  In a country that relies so much on standards and robotic testing, working on a project solely for the purpose of learning something seems out of the ordinary.  A research project with essentially no limits, about a topic that you actually want to know something about?  That's a first for America.

        When I explained the thesis I chose, Frankie's face went from eager and willing to confused and concerned.  More accurately, it looked like he had drank lemon juice without warning.

        "You want to pretend that you're homeless?!"

        "Just for a week.  It's just to see how people react to seeing them."

        "Do you realize what you're asking me?"

        "Um, a favor?"  He shakes his bald head.

        "Caspar, I would lose business here!  It's already hard enough competing with Barnes and Noble."

        "But college students are always by here."

        "You and I both know that most already have their books for the semester, so it's my normal regulars that keep this place running until spring."

        I let out a frustrated breath, runing my fingers through my hair.  "Then I'll pay for your loses.  Plus, we can even tell them when they're leaving that it was just a social experiment."  Frankie raises his bushy eyebrow at me before finally letting out a defeated sigh.

        "Fine.  Wait here."  He steps behind his wooden counter and weaves through the stocked shelves.

        Leaning on the countertop, I take a good look around.  It was a cozy place.  Two levels, the ground floor with a fifteen-foot ceiling.  Cream-colored walls, the floor a dark red carpet.  Dark oak bookcases so high that not only they touched the ceiling, but there was a ladder with brass knobs attached to it.  I was tempted to go on it and roll along the back, consisting of one huge long bookshelf.

        In the corner was a little retreat.  I recognized Tony, Frankie's brother, in the back making fresh churros and doughnuts, the ones that had made my mouth water from the second I stepped into the shop.  That was the thing about Anerene.  It may have a some chains, but the local businesses will treat you like your family.  You hear about those businesses that post up pictures of their customers, enjoying whatever it is that the store offers.  The Cavern was no different, pictures of customers, old and new, lining the window of the retreat.  Finishing a new batch, Tony puts the bakeries in the display window.  Seeing me, we exchange waves.  But before I could make my way over and try a churro, Frankie is pulling my arm, he forcing me to turn around.

        "Here."  In his hands is a green binder, the cover on it reading Regulars.

        "Is this even legal?"

        "Look, I need to keep track of my profits, and looking at their spending rates helps to predict the money flow."  He pats my back.  "I thought you were a college kid.  You should know this!"

        "Well, I--"

        "So here are Monday's bunch," Frankie interrupts, not waiting for me to finish my incompleted thought.  He rambles on to tell me all about his regulars for that day, from their name to their predicted time of arrival to how much they spent in the bookstore on each visit.  Your name had come up, but I didn't know it would become so much more that that.