41. Parents

Ariana slowly walked towards her chamber as a whirlwind of emotions had occupied her inner self. Her eyes were filled with unshed tears, threatening to spill down everything, including the heaviness burdening her heart.

"Why is he doing this now!" She shouted in frustration once she entered her assigned room.

"He wants us. You heard him." replied Saoirse grimly.

"Why not three years ago? Why now?" Ariana took a seat at the edge of the bed hurriedly. "Is it because I got my wolf? No. According to that Seer, the problem wasn't me not having a wolf. It was me not being worthy in his eyes. But now, I am? Why? Is it because my blood cured Xanthus? But then again, he had already annulled his marriage with Persephone way before that ordeal."

Ariana grabbed the sheets tightly. "I don't understand what goes in that man's mind."

"Why don't we ask him?" Saoirse suggested carefully.

Ariana pondered for a while before scoffing. "You know what? I do understand. The entitled King must have found Persephone more attractive than me then. But after some time, he must have been bored by her and realized the truth that only his mate can satisfy him. And one day he went, oh! I do have a mate who was begging to be with me even when I didn't even acknowledge her. Let's have her back, shall we?"

"I'm not sure about that, human. No place has more secrets, lies and conspiracies than a Royal Palace. Especially against the King."

Ariana narrowed her eyes. "Why are you taking his side today? I thought you hated him more than me."

"I'm not taking his side." Saoirse rolled her eyes. "I'm not saying you to forgive him and run into his arms, am I? I just want to know the truth. His truth."

Ariana shook her head. "I have to stop thinking about him. Despite his reasons, what's done is done. I shall never be able to forget what he did. I shall be out of this palace at the end of this week anyway."

There was a knock at the door.

Ariana smoothened the creases on her dress while standing up and walking towards the door. She opened it to find the same maid who had suggested that she changed her dress before attending the high tea.

"My Lady." The maid curtsied.

Ariana nodded in response.

"It's time for dinner, my lady. Everyone is waiting for you at the table, including His Majesty." The maid emphasized. The King makes everyone wait for him. Not the other disrespectful way around. However, their King was patiently waiting for Ariana's arrival back at the dining table while the courtiers suspicions only grew stronger.

Ariana shuddered at the thought of facing Xavier. "My apologies for making everyone wait. Tell them on my behalf that they could commence as I shall be eating in this room only."

The maid hesitated before answering. "Of course, my lady. Your dinner shall be brought to your chamber. Any reason my lady would like me to say in front of them?"

Ariana thought for a while before answering. "Tell them that I am feeling tired."

Saying that, she closed the door and let out a sigh. As she roamed her eyes around the chamber, she just realized that this was the same room which she had been assigned three years ago. The same room where she had twirled around and danced, thinking about the man in the garden. Also the same room where she had cried all night for her mate, knowing he was with someone else.

Finally, drop by drop, tears started streaming down her cheeks. She slowly let go of her body and sat down on the floor, clutching her knees. Her muffled sobs were worrying her wolf. As Saoirse was consoling her, there was a knock at the door once again.