Prologue

They had been silent for what felt like hours. And may have realistically been hours as well. There wasn't much they could do to entertain themselves, they had walked the halls of homeworld countless times before. There was nothing new to find.
Jade sat, fidgeting with the side of his sleeve as he waited in the almost empty room. His hands rested within each arm of his robes, forming a blue diamond shape on the top of it. He found himself staring at it for a minute.
"Pearl..."
He looked to his left, his pearl standing beside him. She glanced down towards him, but kept herself perfectly still otherwise. She said nothing, but Jade knew she was listening.
"Those Crystal Gems... what do you know about them?"
Pearl looked forward once more, then responded without any dawdling. "They're a group of rebels. I hear their aim is to stop colonization on Earth, fighting the diamonds themselves if they must."
"Quite ambitious, hm." Jade mumbled, then sat in thought.

"If I were to search for them myself, where do you reckon I would find them?"
Pearl looked at him in shock. "You don't mean...?-"
"..It's been weeks, Pearl. They're gradually forgetting about me. Not much I can do lying in wait like this."
"My Jade, please. You can't think negatively like that. You will be assigned to a meeting sooner than you think. It just takes time."
Jade never looked back to her. Instead, he kept his head down. He'd like to believe that. He wanted a smidge of hope. But gradually, he'd been assigned to less and less meetings in recent times. He wasn't expecting to be kept in the cycle for much longer. And what were to happen to him when he was completely abandoned? Well... he wouldn't like to think that far.
He'd like to do something sooner rather than later.

But he had to wait for the right time.

————————
To explain this story simply, I would not consider it an FMA AU. Although the bases of characters and their personalities/roles are loosely based on Greed, Ling, and Lan Fan, they are not them. These characters have been developed in my own way that exceeds what I think the FMA characters would do.
This also means the story is not based on Fullmetal events. The only characters throughout the story that are based on other characters are Jade, Pearl, and a future character in which we have not met yet.

Now, this does not mean SU characters will not show up or be mentioned. If anything, this is definitely more so a SU Au.
Within the setting of this story, Rose Quartz and her army, The Crystal Gems, are a prevalent threat to homeworld, already causing disruptions for hundreds of years. The story is set in Era 1, before the shattering of Pink, but after the fusion of Garnet. It's based off of as much homeworld and rebel knowledge as I have, but expands on SEVERAL headcanons as well, so some things may sit well while others may not with readers.

I do recommend you have knowledge of Steven Universe before reading this, especially since this is set in the SU universe.
But for those who are reading this and don't wanna bother trying to watch 5 seasons of a kids cartoon, then here's the information you need to know in order to enjoy the story:

The primary species involved are Gems, an alien race that are mostly composed of light with gems at their cores. They can be hurt and only their gems are left behind, but they come back soon after. The only exception would be if their gems were cracked or shattered.
Their gems vary from person to person, determining their statuses and role in the Gem Empire. At the top of the social hierarchy lays The Diamonds, 4 central rulers of Homeworld and every planet that Gems have conquered. Everyone was made to fall in line and serve the diamonds, helping expand the empire as well.
Earth, in its early stages of hosting life (so about a few million years ago) was claimed as Pink Diamond's first colony. Rose Quartz, a no-name gem at the time, had enough of colonization, and started a rebellion. Her name soon became known by all, forming a group called the Crystal Gems. She encountered a fusion named Garnet, however, which changed her reason for fighting to fighting for each individual gem to be themselves.

Once again, I would like to add that a great majority of the story is based on my own headcanons of what happened during Era 1, focusing mostly on the rebels and how homeworld functioned.

So! With all of that in mind, I would like to say that this is the shortest chapter you will ever see out of this story. As of writing/updating this, the longest chapter I have is 10,000 words long. No chapter will be less than 1K words, so I hope you're ready for what's coming.
My apologies if things sound a little awkward, I'm definitely a visual person and am doing my best to write out what I visualize in my head, but sometimes it just comes out bad. So you have been warned lmaooo

Enjoy the "show"!