21| 𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒍𝒚 𝑺𝒆𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒔

8 May, 2028

Kaitlyn's POV

8 hours. It was 8 hours too long. 8 hours too late when our flight finally descended on the Mystic Falls airport runway. As soon as our car finally stops outside the Lockwood mansion, I almost jump out of the still running car and rush into the house.

"Ric!" I yell out and my voice echoes throughout the house as Klaus, Rebekah and Marcel too walk into the house behind me.

"It's too quiet," I say as I move around the house to check if anyone was here. When I find no one, I pull out my phone and dials Damon's number. After two failed calls, Klaus' phone starts to ring instead.

"Freya," he says as he answers the call and I decide to listen in.

"Klaus, where are you? We're in trouble, the kids need Kaitlyn," she speaks form the other side of the call.

"We're in Mystic Falls. Damon called us and asked us to come back. Just tell us where you are," Klaus replies.

"We're...we're at the school. Klaus, it's bad. You need to get here now!" she says before hanging up and by the time, I am already out of the house and in the car's driver seat.

Breaking some driving rules and almost running over a few people, we reach the Boarding House's entryway after five minutes or so. From the outside, the school looks so dark and gloomy right now, like a terribly dark shadow had taken over the area. And there it was- the same, chilly quietness again. I burst through the front door and the first sight I'm greeted with are storm clouds...inside the school. There were dark storm clouds covering every inch of the school with rain water.

Then my eyes land on Alaric and as his eyes catch mine, he does a double take as if to ensure if it was really me. Then, before I know it, I am engulfed into a tight hug by him.

"Bee, thank god you're here," he says breathlessly as we break away from the hug and places a small kiss on the side of my head

"What happened?" I ask, getting to the point.

"Kai was back," comes another voice and I turn to see Damon. Behind him was Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, Enzo and Freya.

"So I've heard," I reply as he hugs me and just then, it strikes me, "wait, what do you mean by 'was' back?"

"Bee, you might wanna sit down," Alaric says as he leads me to the library of the school. The only room with no storm clouds, surprisingly. Not that it mattered because we were all drenched to the core by now.

"No, where are the kids? Who's with them?" I ask as Alaric sits me down on a couch.

"The kids are...alright. They're all in your office right now. We should talk before you go see them," Alaric says and I nod hesitantly as Klaus sits down next to me and places his comforting hand over mine.