22| 𝑰𝒈𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑭𝒊𝒓𝒆

12 May, 2028

Kaitlyn's POV

It has been 4 days since we had returned from Paris. Four sleepless nights for everyone as we scourged through all kinds of possible solutions to avoiding the merge. Lizzie was getting weaker every day and mostly put on bedrest with me, Caroline or Elena watching over her. Rebekah and Marcel had offered to overlook Stefanie and Oreo while we worked on our problems. If this was any other time when I'd see the Mikaelsons and my Scooby Gang together, I'd call myself the happiest person ever. But right now, I'd call myself the luckiest person ever. All my friends and family were here, working day and night trying to protect my girls. Sometimes I wonder what I ever did to deserve such amazing people in my life. With that thought, I turn around the bed and come face to face with my fiancé.

"Good morning, love" he says as he places a small kiss on the side of my head.

"Morning, Nik," I greet back with a raspy voice. And then my eyes land on the book in his hands. It was a copy of his mother's grimoire.

"Find anything?" I ask as I sit up against the headboard

"Nothing we can use," he says as he rests his head on my lap and my hands subconsciously reach out to play with his hair.

"Nik," I say.

"No, not happening," he cuts in before I can even finish speaking.

"You didn't even let me finish," I complain and he turns his head to look up at me.

"I know what you're going to say and no, it's too big a risk," he says and I frown.

"It's been four days, Nik. Four days we've had to keep Josie down every time she wakes up because even Freya's potion can't keep the darkness away. Lizzie is so weak already and Hope and Ryan are mentally tired now. They're all kids. My kids. I have to do this, it's the only way," I state and Klaus raises his head from my lap, probably getting ready to argue but just then, his phone starts to ring.

"Yes Elijah," he says as he answers the call.

"Niklaus, you need to come to Italy. I was looking for help like you asked me to and I found this old witch coven, they said they might have a solution," my ears perk up at this and my eyes light up with newfound hope, "but they will only speak to you," he finishes and I frown.

"Why me?" Klaus asks.

"They won't tell me. They just said they have something to tell you...warn you about and only you can know."

"I'll be there as soon as I can, brother. Thank you for all the help," he says before hanging up.

"Warn you about what?" I ask and he shrugs.

"I have no idea but I guess, I should go and hear them out," he says and I nod.

"Come back soon, okay?" I say as I cup his face in my hands and he places a small kiss on the palm of my hand.