chapter sixteen.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:EYE OF THE TIGER

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
EYE OF THE TIGER.

⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅

THE FOUL STENCH of cigarette smoke was almost overwhelming. But, with another shot being placed in front of her, Birdie didn't mind the stench as she downed the reddish liquid. She scrunched up her nose as it burned the back of her throat, shaking her head as she pushed the glass away from her once she was done with it. Loud music played from the jukebox in the far corner of the bar, most of the songs sounding like ones that Dean would've been more familiar with. There were two pool tables behind her, a group of burly men taking bets as they played anyone they thought would have made a good challenge. A few giggly college girls were sitting near the front door, their table nearly full of empty shot glasses as one of the girls stood at the end of the bar to order more. A stage was in the far left corner, but instead of there being instruments or karaoke equipment set up there, there were four large slot machines; two were currently occupied by old women who'd been there before Birdie arrived. Two men were seated at the counter, a decent amount of seats empty between them and Birdie as the woman had purposely chosen a seat far away from other people.

"Are you sure you want another one?" Birdie pursed her lips, dazed eyes meeting the dark brown eyes of the bartender. Her dark brown hair was pulled up in a ponytail, a few loose strands sticking to the back of her neck. She wore a dark red henley tank top, the top few buttons undone. It was tucked into a pair of blue jeans, some pens stuffed in her front pockets in case she had to take orders for one of the tables. A small name tag was clipped to the strap of her tank top, the name Tatum written in bold letters. Some sweat glistened on her temples, having been moving from one end of the bar to the other as people flowed in and out of the bar for most of the night. Birdie had come in almost an hour ago when business was finally beginning to slow as the bar was only open for another few hours and it was getting rather late, but the woman didn't seem to mind the work.

Birdie twisted her lips, placing her head on her hand. "I'm very sure," she replied.

The bartender softly sighed but turned, getting another glass. Birdie stole a glance to the side, seeing two of the college girls stumble towards the bathroom. She shook her head and faced forward, smiling when seeing the shot was already in front of her. It was a clear color, causing her to raise a brow at Tatum. "Trust me, you'll like it," the woman said, the corners of her lips curling up into a smile.

Birdie cautiously picked it up, giving the bartender a suspicious look. "I'm trustin' you here." Tatum softly chuckled, shaking her head as she wiped off a glass to put on the back rack near the shelves that were full of different kinds of alcohol. Birdie lifted the glass to her lips and threw her head back, downing the drink in just a few seconds. She sat it back on the counter, furrowing her brows together as she gaped at the bartender. "That was fuckin' water."