23| 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑲𝒆𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔

3rd person POV

It was the next day now. In the last 24 hours, a lot had happened in Mystic Falls. Dark Josie had set fire to some tents hung up on the Town Square, just out of spite. Luckily, no one was severely harmed. Kaitlyn had asked Matt to inform the new Sheriff to initiate a lockdown on the town while we drain the vervain out of the water system and compel anyone who had seen Josie to forget about it. It was announced by the council that a discarded cigarette bud caught onto one of the tent fabrics and the fire got out of control. Whoever had seen Josie were now being held at the station for the next day, until the vervain was out of their system and they could be compelled to forget. Since Ryan had already suffered enough at the hands of Dark Josie, they decided to put him on compulsion duty instead. Hope and Lizzie were sent away to the Mikaelson mansion and Freya, Kol and Davina together caught onto Dark Josie and out her in the werewolf containment area in the school basement.

Right now, Kaitlyn was calling with her fiancé, asking for an update on the situation. After a few rings, someone answered the call.

"Nik, any updates?" she asks right away.

"Rose, it's me. Niklaus is a little preoccupied as of now," she hears Elijah's voice from the other side of the call.

"Oh Eli, hi. Is he with the witches now?" she asks in return.

"He is, has been for hours now. They won't let me inside their ancestral plot so I have been waiting outside," Elijah explains.

"They won't let you in but they let Nik? That's new. I hope they have a solution. The situation here is...is getting out of hand. Freya's potions aren't working on Josie anymore and the darkness is consuming her. It's bad, Eli. We need a solution ASAP," Kaitlyn tells him.

"I am sure we will find one. Stay strong, Rose. I will let you know if we make any progres here."

"Alright, thanks. And Eli, it was good to hear from you again. Take care, okay?" she smiles into the call and hangs up.

Just then, her phone starts to ring again to a call from Marcel.

"Yes Marcie?" she asks as she answers the call. Initially when the Mikaelsons moved back in town, Kaitlyn had gotten close to Davina, Freya and Marcel over the course of the months when she would hang out with Kol at the Grill. And when one day, Marcel offered to help her with some combat concerns she had for her school teams, they had bonded over a lot of other common interests and how similar their lives were in certain ways. Ultimately, they became good friends.

"Lyn, you might wanna stop by here today. Something happened to your daughter, she was out with Hope and ever since they've returned, she's been crying. Rebekah and your friends, Elena are with her but I think having her mother would be more comforting right now, if you're not busy with something else," he informs her.

"Oh no, what now. I'll be there soon, Marcie. Thanks," she says before hanging up the call and walking out of her school office, where she had lounged, now that a part of the Lockwood mansion was burned and needed renovation.

Outside, she bumps into a sad Penelope, sitting by the hallway window with her head in her hands.

"Hey sweety, you alright?" Kaitlyn asks as she approaches her.

Penelope looks up and frowns, "oh Miss K, yeah I'll be fine."

"I didn't ask if you 'will be' fine, I'm asking if you 'are' fine right now or not."

"I...it's just everything with Josie. I'm so scared for her. She's going to hate herself for harming you, Ryan and the townspeople when she comes back and hears about her dark side," Penelope clarifies and Kaitlyn nods.