Intermission - Obsessively In Love

fill this emptiness within me

with wilting flowers of a poison red

༻𖥸༺

CASSIOPEIA VON ORTHOPTA WAS born to lower nobles, her mother the daughter of a Baron and her father a Viscount, therefore her mother's marriage to the Grand Duke of Banafrit, no matter how paper thin it was in actuality, had been a welcomed change.

Only that neither she nor her mother were given the honour of being called Banafrit. The marriage was one of convenience, after all.

Oh, she did receive the reverence one would normally received from acquiring such a rank, as well as the monetary backing befitting of an adopted daughter. But at the end of the day, she was still a Viscount's daughter.

Her younger brother, the Grand Duke's beloved son, was the only person that seemed to truly matter in the North. As the heir he was placed above and beyond her own station and was more than content to pretend she didn't live on his inheritance.

There had been an instance, one day when she had lost sight of Rohan's movements due to His Excellency's desire to acquaint his son with the political world.

At first, upon his return to the North, she hadn't given his sudden desire to better his swordsmanship any thought. That was just him acting out on everyone else's impressions on him一 those of a budding genius swordmaster.

But a month passed, and another and so on so forth until a year went by and Rohan was still relentless in his training.

Due to her lack of influence in the Banafrit manor, she'd only found out too late一 the Ducal Heir had pledged his sword to His Imperial Highness, Crown Prince Athanasius.

Her little fox of a brother had attained that which she so desired 一 the attention of the imperial family.

She burned with jealousy, her soul a blackened void who could be filled only by the prince.

And when she'd seen him for the first time during the yearly debutante ball, she'd fallen. Deeply and helplessly, when her sight fell on his golden visage, surrounded by people he trusted, Cassiopeia felt herself burn with renewed determination.

Come hell or high water, he will be hers 一 there was no other option.

✂------------------------------------------

Cassiopeia has been mentioned in Chapter 15 and Chapter 16.