Chapter 1

Thursday 10 August 2017/Erina

I love the rain. The smell of it, the sound it makes when it crashes on my umbrella, that cool feeling that caresses my face in the middle of August. I glanced at my phone. 17:07. What on earth was that bloody taxi doing? Suddenly, my phone rang and an unknown number appeared on my screen. I picked up the phone, stoically, slightly annoyed. After this exhausting day, I could only wait to get home, take off my heels, have a glass of wine and get back to work.

- « Hello Sano-sama, I am your taxi. I couldn't find a place to park. I'm two blocks away », he apologized promptly.

- « I see. I'll be right there » I hung up the phone and started walking.

Honestly, what a shitty day. My feet hurt, my files weigh a ton and to top it all off I'm hungry. I set off in the direction of the meeting point indicated by my app. I took a right and that's when I heard it: a small, desperate, scared meow. I slowed my pace and crouched down to find a kitten soaked to the bone. Poor thing. I held out my hand and he sniffed shyly at my fingers.

- « Hey, little buddy. What are you doing here alone? »

Without hesitation, the kitten approached me and began to rub my leg, purring. Well, well, well! I picked up the kitten and checked his ear. No tattoo. Are you alone in life too, little buddy? Suddenly, the kitten poked me in the head and licked the tip of my nose.

- « I get it. But just until I find you a new family, okay? »

He meowed happily in response and I tucked him into my coat. I made my way back to the waiting taxi, parked in warning at the end of the street. When he saw me, the driver got out of his car and opened the door for me.

- « Sano-sama, shall I drive you home? »

- « Hm, could you drop me at the nearest pet shop first? »

- « Absolutely, Madam. »

The taxi drove off and I took the kitten out of my coat. It was peacefully asleep. Don't worry, little buddy. I'll take care of you. I won't let you down. The taxi drove for a quarter of an hour before stopping in front of a small, unassuming sign. I thanked him and got out of the car, my kitten under my coat and my files under my arm. The rain was still beating down and I rushed inside. As I entered the shop, a soft bell rang.

- « I'm coming! » came a voice from the back of the shop.

I started to walk through the various departments. What does a kitten need? Litter? Kibble? A bowl of water? A little cushion, perhaps.

- « Hello, how can I help you? » came a voice from behind me.

I turned around and my heart sank. That voice and blue eyes ... Nothing had changed except his smile and the sparkle in his eyes. I clutched my briefcase in my hand and swallowed.

- « Chifuyu? » I asked, slightly surprised.

- « Er... Erina? »

- « Yes, what are you doing here? »

- « I run this shop »

- « Oh, I see. What a pleasant surprise to see you again. »

-« I... yes, me too. What brings you here? I mean, should I be addressing you as "Madam"? You're, um... you look very nice. »

- « Thank you very much and you don't have to, Chifuyu. Well, I found this little darling in the street » I replied, taking the sleeping kitten out of my coat.

The kitten yawned and opened its eyes slightly. When it saw Chifuyu, it started meowing and purring before coming to rub against him. A smile split his face and Chifuyu came to the kitten's level.