26| 𝑾𝒆 𝑵𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝑳𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒏

3rd person POV
Mikaelson Mansion, Mystic Falls

"Where did Nik go?" Rebekah finally asks, breaking the unsteady silence after Kaitlyn walked back inside with Hope and Ryan.

"I...I don't know," Elijah replies and before he can elaborate, Kol cuts in.

"What do you mean you don't know? You were with him. Lyn needs him now and he ran off to somewhere on his own business?" he yells and a lot of the others nod. Elena notices Damon fuming and holds onto his hand, comfortingly squeezing it while hoping he too didn't lash out now.

Elijah sighs loudly and sits down on a backyard bench, looking down at his hands before looking back at everyone's expectant expression. He then goes on to tell them what had happened, how long Klaus had spent inside the plot and how he was being cryptic when he joined Elijah later on.

"He then snapped my neck, before I could even react. And when I awoke, probably about an hour later or so, he was gone, his phone was crushed on the floor and I just found these two letters in my suit pocket. In mine, he asked me to forgive him and apologize to everyone on his behalf. He also asked me to look after Kaitlyn and Hope while he is away," Elijah finishes explaining and everyone looks at him with a dumbfounded look.

"He said 'while he is away'? So he's not just gone, he'll come back to her soon," Caroline states, being the always-optimistic one but everyone looks at her with solemn expressions.

"I don't know, Care. It sounded an awful lot like a goodbye," Elena mutters as the rest of the Scooby Gang nod and the Mikaelsons look at each other with ashamed expressions.

"I," Damon starts to speak up next, "I am going to kill him this time. I knew it, I knew someone like him would never change and he'd end up hurting Lyn all over again! I knew it, Elena I even told you but you guys were too busy living in fantasy land where 'true love prevails' and all that bullshit to see that he is Klaus Mikaelson, he doesn't care for anyone but himself and he doesn't keep his promises. He wrecked her last time, Kol you were there, you saw how terrible she was. You, of all people, know Lyn as well as we do. Admit it, deep down we all saw this coming, him breaking her heart all over again!" he lashes out as everyone tries to avert eye contact with each other.

 Admit it, deep down we all saw this coming, him breaking her heart all over again!" he lashes out as everyone tries to avert eye contact with each other

"No he didn't plan for this to happen. He just asked her to marry him! He wouldn't have proposed if he didn't love her and want a future with her!" Rebekah defends her brother.

"Then where is he? Where is he now, when yet again, Lyn needs him more than ever to be by her side? Why isn't he here now if he is so in love with her?" Damon fires back and that immediately shuts Rebekah up, as even she couldn't comprehend an answer to that.

"Look, we don't know what is going through Nik's mind. This was stupid of him to do but we can't get sidetracked now. If Nik isn't here, we need to stay strong for Lyn and be focused on the twins. So let's not argue among ourselves right now," Kol points out as Elena and Caroline nod.