Before

Silver has always loved words. She loved the way an ordinary person could string together sounds and make them beautiful. She sat with a book in her lap, her honey-colored hair pulled back in a green clip, revealing the clover-shaped birthmark on her temple. Her eyes darted across the page at a rapid pace - her mind racing with thoughts of demons, castles, and dragons. The ability to get lost in a fictional world was second nature to Silver, who spent most of her time in a world of books, either writing or reading, and the rest in her own imagination.

"Hey, Silvie, can you run down to the shop and grab a thing of milk," Called her mother, Silvie sighed, folding the corner of her page before placing her book on her desk. Her mother always told her she would ruin her books that way, but Silvie just thought it gave them character.

"Sure, mum, can I use the coin purse? I used all my money when I went out with Zara and the others," Silvie replied whilst tugging on a green zip-up hoodie over her denim shorts and white tank top.

"Sure, get yourself a treat too, a thanks for organizing Macy's ballet lessons for me."

"Thanks, mum!" Silvie said - snatching the coin purse that was sitting on the bench next to the door and rushing outside. She shielded her eyes from the raging sun, realizing she hadn't been outside all morning - but reading up in her room instead. She crossed the road, deciding to walk on the beach to get to the shop rather than use the pavement.

She took a deep breath as she felt the sand in between her toes, relishing the beachy air. The sounds of the waves lapping against the shore were soothing in a way. Every school day, without fail, Silvie would come here, letting the stress of the day fall from her shoulders as the afternoon sun bore down on her, making her light brown skin even browner - bleaching her honey-colored hair. The honey color of her hair was a trait she imagined she got from her father, as her mother and sister had black hair. Julia (Silvie's mother) claimed that Silvie's dad was a good man gone crazy. Silvie hadn't known him - but she didn't think she would want to any time soon.

Silvie gazed out onto the horizon, thinking the shimmering sea looked like a good setting for her book. Her book was starting to come together, after spending so many hours writing it - fighting writer's block instead of the dragons she wrote about. She was determined that she would be a successful author one day, if not from this book, then from the next. If there was one thing Silvie's mother had embedded into her brain, it was that a woman could do anything.

The shop loomed closer until she finally arrived, she turned down the narrow sandy track that led to the main road the shop was on. The coolness of the shop hit her in a wave. She zipped her jacket up because even though the sun was so warm, it was still autumn and the air had a slight chill to it. The shop was small, like a dairy containing all the stuff a supermarket would have. She strolled over to the fridge, grasping a 2 liter of milk and then making her way to the treat section. Scanning the shelves, she settled upon a box of smarties which she grabbed from the shelf before she walked to the counter. As she was walking she noticed a boy around her age staring at her, he was no doubt hot. Silvie turned her head and smiled at him - she was fully aware her dainty fairy-like features were attractive.

"Hey, Silvie!" The lady behind the counter said, smiling, "When's your next shift?" she inquired while scanning the two items and then putting them in a paper bag.

"Tomorrow afternoon after school, until six," She smiled while picking up the paper bag.

"I'm not on again until Wednesday, so I probably won't see you again for a while."

"See you then!" Silvie called as she exited the shop carrying her bag, she was vaguely aware the hot boy had left and was wondering whether she would see him again. There weren't many hot boys in her area, and even if Silvie did spend most of her time in a fictional world, she still liked to have fun. She would find out if he went to her school soon enough, it started tomorrow. She sighed at the memory of the holidays ending and going back to her shitty school.

Hey guys! If you read to this part then thanks! (disclaimer, this is not part of the book it's just a note) I just thought I would say this is just part of the before so I promise it does get more interesting! Also, even though there is romance and Silvie does seem basic, she changes and becomes stronger. I really wanted my heroin to be a strong and independent female, but still didn't want to miss out on any romance!