[ one ]

Donghyuck finds himself falling for a guy who'd never like him back. He finds himself gracing a faint shade of pink on his cheeks, fingers fiddling in shame, eyes glancing everywhere but his muse, his sunshine - Mark.

Donghyuck will forever give and forget, love and mourn, share and comfort. Donghyuck knows the crisp wind like the back of his hand, quietly whispering reassurance, whilst he slowly realizes the truth that's been laid out for him all along. Donghyuck can sense the waves proclaiming that the world was always unfair, thumping against the sunlit shore, desperate to convey its message for the world to understand. Donghyuck adores the stars sprinkled on the dim sky, waiting for more to be added, potential wasted, kept in its most plain form; it felt simple, basic at times, yet Donghyuck can't help but be mingled with joy, heart throbbing in excitement, smile lighting up as though what he's discerning is the most precious thing in the world.

Donghyuck remembers the route to a cafe akin to home, a cafe that inhabits the person he yearns for, who he pines for. It's unfamiliar, the feeling surging through his veins, winding up to his throat, urging to flow out of his tongue, conveyed in verbal words. However, Donghyuck can't find coherent words that can explain this overwhelming feeling. It's unfamiliar, though it feels familiar at the same time.

It feels right, yet it feels so wrong.

Donghyuck is not illiterate, not that poetic either, so it isn't a surprise when he can't seem to put the tingled emotions into coherent sentences. Donghyuck hopes to at least convey it understandably, only for him and Mark to hear.

The snow accumulates on metal window sills, white flakes nestling its way onto Donghyuck's hair, adding a tincture of color to the black consistency of his clothes. The uncomfortable squeaking of his shoes reverberates through the sidewalk, and he's too quick to notice the sound, which leads to a scowl creeping up to his face.

His arm pushed the glass door exhibiting the quiet cafe, earning a muffled 'ding!' from the bell hovering above him, which gained the interest from the one behind the counter. The wafting smell of the coffee is soothing, to say the least - accompanied by the scrapings of metal against plates, light chuckles surfacing, and faint pants which come unnoticed by a certain person behind the counter.

"Welcome to Sun & Moon Cafe!" Mark has his head hanging low for some reason Donghyuck doesn't know about, but he smothered down the questions, ignoring the sour feeling bubbling up his throat. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. And Donghyuck believes that statement. "How can I help you," Mark inclined his head upwards, eyes widening at the person beyond the counter. "Haechan?" The lilt in his tone exhibits that he's surprised, somehow ecstatic that his friend appeared before him.

Donghyuck chuckles with flushed cheeks. "That's me, alright."

Mark's lips settle into a slight smile, making Donghyuck feel enlightened for a second. "What do you want to order for today?"

The question isn't too direct, too compelling to be obligatory, yet Donghyuck finds himself pondering over the question for a bit too long. The humming of Mark's voice impels Donghyuck to scream his feelings out loud, heart bumping and bumping until it falls out his chest, feelings shown for everyone to be seen.

In fact, Donghyuck is a simple man, yet in the first time in his life, he finds himself not being able to respond to the basic question Mark queried.

"I want..."

"Hmm?"

"I want -"

- You.

Though, he never felt so frank, so exposed, so stupid because of a simple word that he resorted to swallowing it down, hoping to never answer a question like that again. Unfortunately, it still subsided in his stomach, winded up his lungs, crawling up to the tip of his tongue. It feels so itchy, he wants to let it out and break himself down to the lowest point, yet he refrained himself.

"- An americano, please." Donghyuck forces a feeble smile, and Mark believes it.

"That would be 3.85 dollars!" Mark chirps, unbeknownst to Donghyuck's inner turmoil.

It was a cold, bitter morning when Donghyuck found himself on the brink of confessing his emotions to his best friend. What he doesn't know is that he finds himself doing that four times more.

・・・

[ lee donghyuck

mark lee ]

・・・

[ a/n: a markhyuck fanfic let's geddit ]