13

"Ivy...Hi.." He stood up almost immediately, brushing the dirt off of his legs. Ivy furrowed her brows at him. She was holding a warm container of something that smelled like beef.

"Why..Why are you even here?" She asked, her voice laced with suspicion. Ivy opened her car door and put her bearings in, before lifting her head back up and crossing her arms, a suspicious look on her face as she raised her eyebrow.

Sam's throat went dry.

He had no answer as to why he was there, at least one where he could tell her. Sam wasn't quite ready yet to reveal to her that werewolves and vampires were actually real.

"Sam."

She snapped him back to reality, a small frown suddenly forming on her lips. "Are you...following me?" Ivy asked.

Sam almost let out an audible gasp of horror, disgusted that she would even think about him like that. Even though what she said was true.

"N-No! It's not like that, Ivy. I just..."

"The Cullens and the Quileute thing." Ivy answered for him. She pressed her lips in a thin line and sucked in a shallow breath.

Neither of them knew what to say. Well — what was Ivy supposed to say? She really, really liked Sam. But sometimes, she wondered if he liked her more than she did. The thought scared her, just a little bit.

"Sam, I don't really..." She trailed off, hesitating to continue. Ivy didn't usually voice her opinions on many things at all. She didn't like the confrontations that came with them, so she opted to stay quiet. But he was walking on a thin line between concern and borderline obsession in her eyes.

"I don't really know why you're here...but you should go home. It's kinda weird." She said almost quiet enough for Sam not to hear.

Her words hit him like a brick. Of course she would think it's weird. It was the natural response to somebody following you around. Still, the fact that her words were directed at him stung like a bee.

"Ivy. Are you okay?" Edward came out to her rescue, Bella trailing behind. The rest of the Cullens looked on from the porch.

"Sam." He acknowledged. Sam sent a nod his way. There was almost some sort of a knowing look between the two. A look Ivy couldn't quite understand, but she saw the tension thicken as soon as Edward made himself known.

"I'm fine."

"Yeah, she's fine, so why don't you go back inside?" Sam cut her off, trying to guide her away from the bloodsuckers. Edward furrowed his brows, his eyes shifted to Bella, who had the same grim look on her face as the rest of the Cullens did.

"Hey - Sam." Ivy cut him off this time, a disapproving look on her as she glared at him. The way she was it hurt him yet again, it was short, curt and almost scolding. She shook her head at him, appalled at his rudeness. She didn't know what was going on between them, but she certainly didn't like how they treated each other.

"Sam, go home. You're on our land." Edward emphasised the word 'land.' It was strange, but it was typical Edward. He always spoke like he was from the 1800s.

"Butt out of this, cold one." Sam said under his breath, certain that only the Cullens could hear him, which they did.

"Yeah, okay. We're going back inside now. Thank you again for the company, Ivy, it was good to see you." Bella chimed in, dragging her boyfriend by the sleeve of his shirt.

Edward almost stayed put, but he backed away, eyes never leaving Sam.

Once Ivy knew they were gone, she turned to him.

"What's wrong with you?" She asked. Her arms were still crossed as her left foot tapped the ground in an inaccurate rhythm. "You're acting insane."

"I'm just worried about you!"

"So you show up uninvited to the Cullens' home? You're so crazy, sometimes!"

"Ivy, I just care about you!" He argued back, not even believing that she was taking their side. Ivy got the impression that he wasn't being completely honest about why he was there, but she was thoroughly incensed at him.

"Do you know what the Cullens are like?" He questioned. She stayed silent. Sam talked about the Cullens like they were evil. Ivy supposed that they had done something to wrong him in some way or another, but she had nothing to do with that.

"No." Ivy managed to sputter out.

"They're not who - what you think they are."

Ivy didn't like it when Sam got mad. She'd only seen him mad twice in her life. Once, when they were went to the Rez for the interview, when they first hung out. The second time was when they ran into his father at the beach.

Whenever he was mad, his nostrils would flare and his eyebrows would contort into thin lines that seemed to hold unrecognisable contempt. He had a sort of, somber frown on his face.

"They're my friends." She argued.

"You don't know what they're like. Why do you think they're estranged from the whole town? You don't know anything, Ivy. You just moved here. You think you know everything but you don't. You're an outsider."

"You're being mean." Ivy protested quietly, and blinked back her tears.

"Please, just stay away from them." He pleaded, Sam's voice almost sounded vulnerable, like he was begging her to.

"Why? You can't just force me not to hang out with them! You're not my father." She yelled. Ivy hated how controlling Sam could be sometimes, but he seemed to be extra nutty today.

Ivy had the bad habit of saying the nastiest, meanest possible things to someone whenever she was angry at them. The event was a rarity, but it had occured enough times for Ivy to know that it was something she did.

Sam stopped what he was about to say and stood there, mouth agape. "Ivy - step back." He warned, chest rising heavily up and down as he took in several, labored breaths.

"Sam, you're so controlling! I can't believe you pretend to be this chill guy and then all of a sudden you just blow up! You're mental." She pushed his chest. He backed away, still breathing heavily as he stared straight ahead.

"Oh, so now you can't even look at me? You psycho!"

It was the last thing Ivy remembered saying before a sharp, searing pain ripped into her chest.