16

Thank you for 800 reads <3

"You don't get it, man! Some vampire was at Arthur's house." Sam reasoned. Jacob pursed his lips.

"You left your pack to live in the woods as a wolf and abandoned your duties as an alpha. You come back looking like a bear and acting like a crazy person. Where- have you even been?"

"It doesn't matter." Sam replied curtly. The two of them stared each other down. Sam had no plans of returning, he just wanted to warn the other wolves that Arthur was in danger and leave again. He didn't' deserve to be alive if Ivy was dead.

"Sam, it's not your fault. You know that."

"Don't talk about her. Ever." He warned. He couldn't bear it. Not now, not ever.

The tremble crept its way in Sam's spine quietly and painfully. He breathed out animalistically. He didn't want to stick around to find out if she was still breathing or not. The air suddenly felt heavy. Out of his peripherals, he could see the horrified faces of the Cullens, so he preferred not to look at Ivy's lifeless body. Sam's legs had decided not to listen to him when he told them not to stop moving. They carried him deeper into the woods, until he couldn't smell anyone but the deer and rabbits that surrounded him.

'I told her. I told her to step back. Why didn't she listen to me? Why didn't I stop? Why did I do that?'

Tears threatened to spill out of his eyes.

He couldn't be a wolf, he didn't want to be. But Sam couldn't find it in himself to shift back to a human, no matter how hard he wanted to and how hard he tried.

"Sam!"

"Sam!" He barely snapped out of his daze, eyes glazing over. "Jesus christ. Get a grip, man. I can't be the Alpha right now. They need you. I already have so much on my plate."

Sam had learned about the vampire war and the newborns. He had to suck it up and be there. Even if every part of him ached just by being alive. Jacob was right, though, the rest of the boys needed him. He had never wanted to be an alpha, but he had to take care of them. "You know, no one blames you, right?" Jacob offered. "It wasn't anyone's fault." Those words angered Sam enough for him to punch a hole in the tree. Sam huffed, "Just stop talking. I don't want to talk about her anymore."

Jake winced, nodded in understanding. Suddenly, he began to feel better about not imprinting on Bella. Imagine if Bella had died, he would have been destroyed. But Jacob wasn't sure if he'd feel worse than Sam. Sam was a whole other story. Not once had he seen Sam so broken and lost over something. Just the mention or allusion of Ivy could set him off. He didn't even react like that if anyone spoke about his father.

Ivy was a topic that was avoided viciously during the meetings. The boys were just happy to have him back, even if he wasn't the same. He was quieter, and more irritable. Of course, no one blamed him, but he was just a little more sour.

Ivy, on the other hand, was having the time of her life.

Reading books.

She had gone through Edward's entire library full of vintage books and modern ones too. There was nothing else for her to do. Esme had forbid her from cleaning the house for a week because it was all she had been doing. Being a vampire had never been so boring.

"It feels like I'm in like witness protection, or something." Ivy complained to Jasper. Her legs hung over the bed as she stared up at the ceiling. Jasper sat on her desk chair, stiff like a statue.