The Only Part

Summer walked along the sidewalk, she kicked the leaves out of her way, fall was here, her least favorite season. Everything was gloomy, it was too cold, her cheeks kept blazing as the wind whipped against her face.

She focused on the walk home from school, she just had to survive for just a few more minutes out in the cold.

Summer kept her head down, her pom-pom on her fluffy hat slouching over with her, she walked ahead a few more steps, her body knocked into someone's making them topple over.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Summer right?" said an unrecognizable voice, Summer looked up, this was the new girl and her new crush, her red hair tucked neatly into her hat, she also had many freckles along with startling blue eyes. "I'm Rowan,"

"Hi Rowan, and yes, I am Summer."

She helped pull Rowan off the cement using both of her hands.

"Wanna go hang out, Summer? We can go get pumpkin spice lattes."

"Sure," Summer wasn't exactly sure about the pumpkin spice lattes, she had never liked coffee, it had always been far too bitter for her liking, but her father always said, try something new even if you think you won't like it, she lived by this saying.

They walked over to Starbucks, as they walked in the smells of coffee hit them.

As they stood in the Starbucks line Summer got a bit more nervous, what if she didn't like the latte? Would Rowan think she was being a baby? Would she think she was lame?

"Two pumpkin spice lattes please."

The cashier pressed buttons on the machine, Rowan gave the cashier a 10 dollar bill, he passed over her change, and soon the latte cup was in Summer's hand.

She lifted the cup to her mouth, the second the warm latte touched her tongue she fell in love.

"Do you like it, Summer?"

"Yeah, I wasn't so sure about it at first, but do I wish I had tried this before."

We sat there in silence for a while, soon the cups were empty.

"Summer? Do you have a crush on anybody?"

"Yeah, I'm not so sure they would like me back though."

"Would you tell me if I told you mine?"

"Yeah, sure Rowan, but you have to say yours first."

"I like . . . you, Summer."

"I like you too."

After two seconds of awkward silence our heads leaned together, and Rowan's lips were touching mine, after we pulled apart. I pulled Rowan into a hug, and then, we walked home together.

Now forever a couple, for now and forever.