Chapter 20.

20一 flowers as an afterthought to these bitter tears

༻𖥸༺

The truth is this, every monster you have met or will ever meet, was once a human being with a soul that was as soft and light as silk.

Someone stole that silk from their soul and turned their light into this.

So when you see a monster next, always remember this. Do not fear the thing before you. Fear the thing that created it instead.

────────────────────────

POLITICALLY SPEAKING, OBELIA WAS a powerhouse when it came to forging international connections and seizing the opportunity to claim land and expand its territories. While wars were less common nowadays, that did not mean the battlefield hadn't warped and transitioned into something else.

When it came to taking control over the direction in which negotiations went, Obelia's heir had an uncanny ability to twist and manipulate things in his favor. The prince always entered the room of representatives seconded by his uncle (who was actually his cousin twice removed but the redhead was old enough to be his father), a man who had effortlessly instilled fear into Obelia's politicians.

Today, however, the person present in His Highness' place in the meeting room was not his Regent Head, but his Magistrate. Gregory Alancia was the furthest thing from nobility as one could get, yet his impeccable scholarly lineage more than made up for that 一quote-on-quote一 stain on his resume.

Dark teal hair parted to the sides to show narrowed, piercing yellow eyes that closely resembled the sun's glare and a closed off face一 that's how Sir Alancia usually presented himself in front of His Highness' not quite subordinates.

Tapping the stack of papers against that table at which they were seated, Gregory inclined his head towards the people present in the room and moved to stand. "This will be all. Continue as planned with the preparations for our future guests."

Sweeping the floor in five long strides, the Prince's aide exited the room and made to head for the main office in the Sapphire Palace when a maid accosted him in the hallway.

Bowing her head, the navy haired woman informed him, "Lord Atropos is waiting for you to join him in the Angelic garden."

A sigh passed the young man's lips as his hand pinched the bridge of his nose. "Lead the way."

Gregory would confess to not liking His Highness' uncle and had made his opinion quite well known, yet, in spite of his deprecated thoughts on the red haired man, the Magistrate could quite easily admit to holding great respect for the Regent Head, unsavory personality notwithstanding.