Changing Times

Mitsuri Kanroji. 

The current source of your problems at the moment. 

You may be thinking, ‘how can sweet, beautiful Mitsuri cause any problems?’ Well, that’s exactly the problem, she’s sweet, beautiful and you may or may not have a crush on her.

Okay, you have the biggest crush on her and she takes up your thoughts more than you’d like to admit, which has led you to your current position. 

Being scolded by Sanemi for not paying attention in the latest hashira meeting. 

Promptly after the meeting had ended he dragged you out to the front of the minka styled building by the neck of your gakuran, while you both argued, drawing the attention of those you crossed on your way out.

You and the scarred, wind Hashira never got along for as long as you’ve known each other, always butting heads and physically fighting if things started taking a turn for the worst, which was pretty often. Though the latter was good for improving your skills, you just hated how he was always able to get under your skin so easily in the midst of those fights.

Smack!

“Ouch!” You feel the heat of pain blossoming from the back of your head as you bring your hands up to hold the spot that was slapped. “What the hell, Sanemi, that really hurt!”

“It wouldn’t be hurting if you hadn’t spaced out again!” His raucous voice rings out in the quiet, open space. “Do you know how disrespectful that was to Oyakata-sama? You're lucky he’s a saint, any other person would have your neck for less.”

“I didn’t mean to ignore Oyakata-sama like that, I just have a lot on my mind right now.” You mutter out, turning away from him, not being able to stand looking at him anymore.

“Stop with your excuses, keep that up and you’ll end up like him too.”

Him.

Kyojuro.

“Don’t. you don’t know what it feels like.” 

You were a Tsugoku for Rengoku Kyojuro and in light of recent events, you had come to be the current fire Hashira. The both of you were really close, he wasn’t much older than you, but he had been the best mentor you had and will probably ever have. He treated you like family, like a brother, and losing him was like losing a part of yourself. You clench your fists to prevent yourself from throwing yourself at him, knowing you’d get your ass handed to you with how mad you are right now. 

“Yes I do, we all do, but we don’t let that get in our way! We don’t-”

“Stop!”

Sanemi grabs you by the shoulders with enough force to match his frustration  “Look at me!” You reluctantly do so, meeting his eyes which are coated in irritation. “Get your shit together, you’re no use to us dead,” he gravelly lets out, a warning of sorts. He releases your shoulders softly, vastly different from how he’s spoken to you, and walks away from you, probably off to spar to slay his anger away. 

He pisses you off so much, his stupid face pisses you off, hell even his stupid gait. You should probably also do the same, you want to let out all your frustrations. Frustrations for what happened to Kyojuro. Frustrations of being thrusted into the position of Hashira so suddenly. Frustrations for letting something trivial as a crush distract you so much. 

You’re so tired though, so emotionally drained. 

Walking towards the minka building, you take a seat on the engawa and situate your elbows on your knees and let your head hang in exhaustion.