1. Phantom Kiss

"Smokey!" A soft charming voice calls out. "Smokey, come look!"

Shielding his bloodshot eyes from the violent bright rays of the sun, a shadowed figure appears before him, leaning against the cold metallic railing of the Marine ship. 

"Hurry, you'll miss it!" The voice sings again.

Leisurely walking towards the shadowed figure, Smoker wraps his muscular arms around its slender waist and smiles. An almost invisible tint of red spreads across his cheeks as the figure squeezes the tops of his forearms with small fingers. 

"Do you see them?"

He looks out into the ocean. A family of bottle-nosed dolphins swim side by side, the  smallest of them jumping in and out of the crystal blue water . 

"Aren't they just adorable?!" The shadowed figure squeals, nuzzling the right side of its face against his arm. 

Smoker lets out a quiet, almost amused chuckle and kisses the top of its head. A burst of freshly picked jasmine and grapefruit coats his nose, a scent that instantly mollifies the tension invading his mind. The figure turns around and stares up at him with large earnest eyes. Slowly the shadow beings to unveil itself. Before him stands the reason for his existence, the reason for his  fulfillment, the reason for his strength, the reason for his... Before him stands his fiancée.

"Kiss me."

"Aren't you being too needy today?" He raises a brow.

"I haven't seen you all day, Sir Captain. Kiss me, Smoker..." She whispers, her lilac-colored eyes adoring the dark scar above his right eye.

"As you wish then."

He tenderly cups her face within his large hands. As she closes her eyes with anticipation, he brings his lips down towards hers and closes the space between them. A tiny dimple adorns the side of her mouth as he brands his lips against hers, hoping that the impossible could happen just this one time. What he would give to freeze time at this particular moment. A moment that has yet to be desecrated by the barbarisms of the outside world, a moment in which the person he has deemed to be the paragon of perfection loves him and only him. It is a selfish hope, but it is his only hope. 

"I love you, Smoker. I love you with all my heart." She coos as she presses her warm lips against his cheek. 

"I love you too." He replies, despising himself for withholding his profound sentiments once again. 

"Smokey, I-

Thud.

"Captain!"

A loud knock jolts the white-haired man from his slumber. 

It... it was only a dream again. 

Smoker pulls a half-empty bottle of whiskey out from underneath his bed and steals a long drawn out swig, praying the potent brown liquid will numb the eternal ache within his chest. 

"What is it?" He replies.

"The Straw Hat pirates are coming our way. ETA: 15 minutes before we pass them by. What are your orders sir?"

The glass bottle slips from his hand and explodes around his scuffed black boots. 

"A-are you sure it is the Straw Hat pirates?"

"Yes sir! We have confirmed it is them."

The unbearable ache within his chest begins to spread throughout his body. His trained sturdy frame slightly shakes as he pulls a cut cigar up to his lips.