chapter 39

Xavier's POV

Xavier's POV

"Pulse." Alex spoke up every eye in the room going to him and the hand he had around Kate's wrist. "She still has a pulse."

The shouts that came from my family were almost intangible. People running about calling for an ambulance and getting the medics to rush our sister into the car. Alex was the only one that went with her.

The others either wanted to stay here and make sure no one was left or were just too scared too see what might happen, I was one of the people in the second group. The image of Kate's body burned into my brain and as I moved Sokolov into my car and drove him off to our warehouse to keep him for further interrogation, the image of my sister slowly morphed into one of my father.

"Dad!" I skid to a stop, the front of my body drenched in blood. I was shaking in fear, the gunshots could still be heard clearly as we were both hidden behind a table. My hands desperately clutched at the wound in his chest.

Tears streaming down my face, I was blabbering mess, begging my father to just stay with me. "Listen to me Xav." "No no whatever you want to tell me you can do at home okay. I just...I need to get you out of here."

"Oh son, we both know I'm not coming out of here alive." I choked down a sob as I shook my head "No, please don't say that." His bloody hand came to rest on my cheek, and I held it tightly.

"You gotta take over okay. You gotta take care of your family now. You can do this." I nodded my head, I wanted to scream out at the world for this. It was supposed to be a simple deal, I can't even remember how it all went so wrong. So fast.

"And.. and you have to promise that you'll take care of your sister. Find her, get her home and give her all the love I wanted to." I nodded again. I hugged him tightly just holding on until I felt his body go slack.

Our workers had gotten rid of the others I don't remember how long I stayed there but I held my dad until someone had to forcefully pull me away from him.

"I promise dad. I promise I'll make sure she's okay."

It was almost as if I was on autopilot, I didn't even realise I had reached the hospital until I heard my brothers call to me. They had all already reached and were scattered around in chairs.

Sophia was the first one to run up to me and embrace me. She was still sniffling softly, I couldn't imagine how this all must be from her perspective, after all this was almost like losing another sister.

Besides my brothers Ace, Elijah and Eren were also here, along with Ace's cousin Victor. The four were all sat huddled together, Elijah was asleep on Victor's shoulder while the rest just stared ahead vacantly.

After about 2-3 hours Alex and a doctor exited the room, everyone stood up immediately rubbing their eyes to rid them of the sleep. They were talking amongst themselves. Once done the doctor left and Alex turned to talk to us.