Violet Hill

Please leave a comment letting me know what you think. A vote would be awesome as well! Enjoy!

Bernard stepped slowly through the snow, being sure not to slip and fall and break a bone or something. The city was a white mess with cars fish-tailing everywhere. Bernard personally didn’t like the winter season, but his girlfriend, January loved it. She enjoyed the weather and Bernard always made sure to spend time with her when she smiled the most.

Bernard arrived at January’s door and gave three hesitant knocks. He still wasn’t sure why she let him into her life. Why would a beautiful girl like January, who had all she needed in life without Bernard, ever agree to be with a guy like him? Bernard considered it a blessing and never took it for granted. Ever.

The door swung open to reveal a blonde with the bluest eyes Bernard had the pleasure to behold. And she was his girl. She was the love of his life but never had the guts to tell her. 

“Bernard,” she smiled. “Let’s go to Violet Hill.”

She quickly placed a jacket onto her thin body and grasped Bernard’s arm. The two went out into the dark snowy city and headed toward their favorite place. Violet Hill was where Bernard had first met January. It was the place where the two met in their childhood days. Bernard had fallen in love with January there and he hadn’t even confessed his feelings to her. That was the place where January had initiated their dating relationship and it had been their place for as long as they could remember.

Bernard glanced up at the windows of the houses they passed. Inside were people watching them pass. Watching them freeze in the snow while those faces were warm in their homes. January didn’t mind though, she was with Bernard and that was all that mattered to her.

The two individuals reached Violet Hill and sat down on some cold rocks, looking out onto the meadow around them. The wind was harsh and abusive to their stinging faces. Bernard’s nose was a vibrant red while January looked perfect to him.

“Bernard,” January began. “I don’t know how to tell you this and I don’t think you’re going to like it.”

It didn’t matter what January said to Bernard, he would listen to her sputter gibberish if that was what she needed to say. He’d do anything for her.

“Say whatever’s on your mind,” he encouraged her.

“I’m going to join a nunnery,” she said after moments of hesitation. “I’m going to dedicate my life to God.” She turned to look at him, watching a show of emotions pass on his face. “That means that you and I, well, we can’t be.”

Bernard couldn’t believe what was reaching his ears. Was this the end of them? What could he possibly say to change her mind? That he loved her? No, when January was set on something, she stuck to it no matter what. The cold air seemed to slap at his face in correspondence with the thoughts running through his mind. Why would she lead him on for almost three years? Couldn’t she understand what she was doing to him?

Even through all his turmoil, January was asking herself the same things. Was it right to let Bernard go like this? Was she making the right decision in choosing her faith over her love? She wanted so bad to tell him but was afraid that he wouldn’t return the same sentiments. She was afraid that he would reject her.

Her thoughts were put at rest when Bernard stood and brushed the snow from his pants.

“If that’s what you want,” he said. “Then that is what you need to do.”

Her eyebrows rose. “Are you sure?”

Bernard gave her a look of confusion, “How should I know? It’s your decision, why are you asking me?”