CHAPTER 11

Aslan's Table

Under the hot midday sun, Caspian observed the vast sea before him, a troubled expression was painted on his face. The water was flat, still, as if all the currents had suddenly stopped. There was not a single breath of wind in the sky and, despite all the efforts of the crew, the oars would have never been enough to get them to Ramandu's Island in time.

"The wind has left us." the sound of Drinian's voice behind him brought him back to reality.

"So how do we get to Ramandu's Island now then?" Edmund asked, joining them.

"My guess is something doesn't want us to get there." replied the Captain, and then headed back to the helm.

"Men are tired, nervous." Caspian said grimly.

"Yes," agreed Edmund, the same concern painted on his face.

The King sighed, "We are short of provisions, and we will never make it to the island in," a sudden jolt of the ship interrupted him, "time." he murmured, as they both looked up.

"Eustace, that's brilliant!" Edmund exclaimed. The dragon had caught the mast with its tail and now flew straight to the Blue Star, dragging the ship behind.

✵✵✵✵

On the other side of the ship, Elizabeth watched the water rushing against the wood. Eustace's intervention had bought them a good deal of time, and by sunset, they could already see the silhouettes of the mountains of Ramandu's Island.

"So," Lucy's voice caught her attention, "Are you going to tell me what's going on between you and Caspian?" She smirked at her as she leaned beside her.

The woman gave her a questioning look, hoping to avoid the subject.

"Don't even try to give me that look, I know there's something going on between you two." said the girl.

Elizabeth sighed resignedly, "Whatever it is, it's not going to last." She replied, a hint of sadness in her voice.

"Why?" Lucy asked, frowning.

"It's pretty obvious, don't you think? We belong to different worlds." She answered.

"No, I don't think it's obvious at all. I know there's a reason you came here, and maybe that reason is Caspian." Lucy asserted with conviction.

The woman smiled slightly and nodded, wanting to believe with all of herself to those words. But the truth was that by now the idea of being happy was so remote that it was hard to even hope.

✵✵✵✵

Ramandu's Island was as beautiful as it was difficult to reach. A lush and extravagant vegetation covered every inch, plants and flowers of all kinds and colors shone in the moonlight, so that it seemed to walk in an enchanted forest, just like that of fairy tales.
Elizabeth had risked several times to end up on the ground, too busy capturing every single detail of that wonderful place to watch her step. If she hadn't been certain she was in Narnia, she would have claimed to have finally found Neverland.

An old stone bridge guarded by strange gargoyles led them to an arch made by intertwined tree trunks. Once passed through this, there was a long table decorated with reliefs, richly furnished with inviting dishes. At one end there were three motionless figures, covered by vines. They looked like wax statues, bleached from the passing of time.

Caspian slowly approached, Elizabeth and the Pevensie siblings were immediately behind him. With caution, the King moved the plants and watched those petrified faces.