Summer 1995

Cole 

I was 5 years old the first time I saw her.....

It was summer 1995, my brothers and I were playing in the front garden, when the moving van pulled up. We stopped what we were doing and watched as a older man and woman got out the van. The woman was carrying what I thought was a doll, but was actually a sleeping girl. She looked so delicate and right away I felt she needed to be protected. I watched as she was carried in the house next door by this woman. "Cole" one of my brothers shouted trying to get my attention away from the girl. I forgot about the girl and went back to playing with my brothers. Soon we could hear our mum calling us, letting us know it was time to go inside for food. I looked back at the house next door and a strange feeling came over me, it felt dark and 5 year old me was scared, I ran inside to my parents.

Addie

I was 5 years old the first time I saw him.....

My mums new husband had packed us up and moved us to a small town in the middle of no where, the drive was so long I fell asleep. I woke up on a small chair, I could hear mum talking to her new husband about where to put things. I guess we are finally here in the new house, I wandered to the window, three boys were outside playing. The smallest of the three would look up to the house every now and then. I hid behind the curtains watching them, finally seeing what a normal happy family looked like. Soon the boys looked towards their house and ran inside, the smallest one stopped at his door and looked across at the window, a frown appeared on his. Could he see me? Could he sense my fear? I thought to myself. A hand appeared on my shoulder "Addie, come its time to settle in the new house" my mums new husband, pulled me away from the window.