Chapter 1 | Analise

Thursday, September 23, 2021.

Let's just say that, one more second and I'll be on the floor.

Because of college, along with the part-time job I do to pay tuition, I have been so tired that I have gained a kind of power to manage to fall asleep in any circumstance or place.

When you were in your sixth and final year of general medicine, you were total chaos, in fact by the first two years you don't even know who you are anymore, you're just a zombie type to turn in papers and everything on time so you can graduate with a good grade. Especially when you study in one of the best universities in the United States and the demands were high.

I still remember how my best friend and I shouted with happiness when we got into Yale University, I remember the proud faces of our mothers and how they demanded us to leave this place with honors. At that time we knew we had to try our best. And now we knew that this was a daily battle to accomplish that goal. I had not yet started studying pediatrics, but I knew it would not be easy like general medicine either.

In fact, at times I seriously considered sticking to general medicine alone.

Then my mother's face when I returned to Russia would be very bad, she would surely not leave me alone until she sent me back to America to continue studying with that: "I did not raise a lazy girl".

I sighed.

Holy hell, just a little more and I'll start pediatrics, and in the blink of an eye I'll graduate.

The thought was a good dream.

My phone was vibrating all the time in my pocket, the notifications wouldn't stop to the point where there was no space between vibration and vibration. It was probably my best friend Maria, a girl from Madrid that I met the first day of registration at the university, requesting my presence in the group or just complaining about the homework that the professor was sending her.

Or maybe telling some hallway gossip to the only poor thing she uses as a victim, which was Marlon, I thought with some stress. I hated that she was using the group of the three of us to talk about those things she even had pictures and everything, just to fill my memory with nonsense that I would have to erase later. I preferred to turn off my cell phone and get on with my work. It was pretty straightforward, I had to schedule some things for my boss, who was one of the professors at the university and also one of the best cardiologists in the state of New Haven.

I stacked the folders and held them up as I neatly put them in place, I looked at the time on my wrist watch noticing that it was almost time to go. I smiled with some relief and walked to the office of my boss, Dr. Holmes. At first I was nervous because I heard the inevitable rumors from the hallways that he was a very strict man in the practices he did for his students and that it was almost impossible to get a good grade to add to the final score, but when he approached me to offer me the position as his assistant I realized he was a very kind and responsible man, Dr. Holmes and I discussed about my classes and which days I could come so I could study and not leave my studies aside, a gesture for which I am very grateful. I saw him as a father figure and had a lot of respect for him as a professional and as a person.

A yawn came out of my mouth and I hurriedly covered it, embarrassed. I gently carved my eyes to run the makeup that kept me from looking like a raccoon. Sleeping more than eight here had ceased to be an option. I knocked four times on the door and then opened it, the man twice my age who was my boss was going through some folders on his desk. He looked up and dropped the papers.

-Oh, here you are, Ana.

- Did I come at a bad time? -I lifted the folders. It's just that I've already organized everything.