Prologue

A loud thud and the sound of bottles shattering made me flinch. Fear crept through my system. An angry shout filled every corner of the house.

"Where are you!" He shouted.

I covered my mouth with my shaking hands and tried to muffle my cries. I moved further into the cabinet. The heavy footsteps sounded like they were close.

Save me.

Someone save me.

I didn't dare move or even make a sound. It was getting harder and harder to breathe. The cabinet walls.felt luje they were closing in on me. Beads of sweat rolled down my forehead.

For a moment the footsteps were inaudible. I finally got to breathe thinking that he was gone. The tip of my fingers lightly pushed the cabinet door.

My eyes widened in horror when it flung open. The man I feared stared down at me. His lips twitched in annoyance at my sight.

"Priam." He called out my name in a singsong voice. "I found you." He cackled.

Even with the sound of heavy rain and thunder. It couldn't drown the next words my father muttered.

"I told you to bring me money. I don't see it."

The words sent shivers to my spine.

"Give it." He added.

"I-I don't have the m-money." I said as silently as possible.

He smiled and grabbed my face in his palm. His calloused hand on my skin. "Is that my problem?"

"No, Father. I'm sorry."

My legs were shaking but I quickly stepped out of the cabinet to get away from him.

I need money.

I need money.

I need money.

I went out of the house in a hurry. The rain was cold on my skin. Then the realization dawned on me. I don't know where to get money.

I kept on walking and walking. Desperately looking on the road for loose change.

After an hour I took shelter in a bus stop. I wringed out my soaked shirt and brushed my wet hair.

I stood quietly next to a girl that's busy with her phone. I stared at her and could tell that she has money. Judging from her clothes and elegance I coull tell that she was rich.

I took a step back. A glimpse of relief washed over me when I saw her wallet peaking out of her back pocket.

I slowly reached out my hand. My finger tips shivering from the cold but the moment I made contact with the wallet, the girl quickly grabbed my hand.

She laughed loudly and squeezed my hand in her grasp.

"A little thief." She smiled. Her brown eyes looked at me from top to bottom.

She seemed amused.

"You need money? Are you rat poor? Taking the easy road by taking my wallet." She laughed and pulled me to sit down by the benches.

I immediately regtet the act but I was already caught red handed.

"How old are you?" She continued.

I tried to pry my hand away but she was firm on not letting me budge.

"Answer me." She demanded in an authoritive tone.

"I'm fifteen."

"Quite old."

"What?"

"Look at my hands, thief." She ordered which I quickly follow.

She slowly untangled her hold on me and showed me her palms.

It looked calloused.

"Here look at the other." She showed me her other hand. It has burns and blisters.

I looked up to meet her gaze and she was annoyed and angry.

It was peculiar, I thought.

Her gentle features don't match up with
Her sharp words and demeanor.

"Don't piss me off by stealing my money. These ragged hands worked hard to earn every penny in that wallet." She said in a sweet but threatening tone.

"I'm sorry." I bowed my head.

She laughed again in amusement.

"What's your name?" She asked and smiled at me. Her eyes lit up in anticipation and no longer holds anger in them.

I took a step back at how surprised I am .

"I am called, Priam."

"My word. What a nice name." I blinked twice at the comment.

"A-Are you going to bring me to the police?"

"Maybe?" She paused like she was considering the idea.

I was dumbfounded.

"Are you for real?" I asked bewildered. Any normal person would've dragged me already.

She shook her head like I misunderstood something.

"You remind me of something." She held my wrist and pointed at a fresh bruise that I have. "Another one." She pointed at my other arm.

"If I lift up your shirt." She stopped and smiled again. "I would see more bruises, won't I?"

She was right. I feel aches all over my body. It was a miracle that I could still move.

I quickly shook my head at her conclusion.

"A liar as well." She commented.

What in the world.

"I see you're being treated as a dirtbag. Brings me back to when I was one too." She patted my head and sighed.

I was silent. I was terriefied at how she could read my state.

"You know, Priam." She took out her wallet and fondled it in her hands. "I lived my life believing that it's every man for himself."

"It did me well. I don't have the best life but this is better than hell." She sighed. "I don't do charity, but for you I would make an exception." She opened her wallet and took out a thousand. She tucked in the thousand in her pocket and gave me her wallet.

"Save yourself." Her hands gently held mine. I was on the verge of tearing up.

I nodded vehemently and bit my lip to not break down.

Her words were nowhere near elegant in contrary to her appearance. It sounded harsh but it was laced with kindness. 

"If you find yourself on the verge of dying come here again." She brushed a lone tear in my face before standing up and walking away.

"Why?" I asked. She turned her head and looked puzzled.

"What do you mean?"

"You said you don't do charity." I glanced at her wallet in my hands. It was heavy. "So why would you help me?"

"I'm always here everyday." She gestures at the spot that she was standing at earlier.

"If you need help just come." She added.

Something in lit up. It felt like I finally found somehwhere to go when I run. A last resort when all goes downhill from here.