episode 3 [part 2]

Kang Sae-Byeok was a stranger to love, even as Kyo Ji-Yun had her face buried in her neck as she slept. This love was different, one that made her do silly things that didn't seem silly at the time. The first time she felt love was the night her parents got her and her brother out of North Korea.

"Take care of your brother, okay? We love you."

The second was when one of the church nuns reassured her and her brother that they were safe there. It was comforting considering that they had been through far too much at a young age.

But this was entirely different. She did like Kyo, but she didn't know if she liked her in that way. Sae-Byeok glanced down at the sleeping girl, the lights were still turned off and since there was no way to tell the time in this place, she had no idea whether it was approaching dawn or not. 

She didn't mind in the slightest, if anything, morning could take it's sweet time as long as it meant she could stay like this for a little longer. If it wasn't for Kyo stumbling into her life, she'd be incredibly lost. 

Sae-Byeok never had time for love, she was too busy scrambling for cash to make sure she and her brother stayed alive and to do what she could to get her parents across the border so they could be together again, one big happy family. However, when she saw Kyo get along so well with her little brother, she considered it all.

Ever since the motel, she had let Kyo in, and she hadn't done anything to hurt her, either emotionally or physically. The Japanese girl protected her, made her feel safe in more ways than one. Sae-Byeok could call all of those actions acts of love, or just acts of a rare half-decent human being that just happened to grace her life like one of those angels in stories her little brother was taught.

Kyo breathed heavily against her neck, she had been doing that a lot since Sae-Byeok had woken up. It was probably another nightmare, which was confirmed when she felt her shaking. She felt one of her hands clutch at the material of her shirt tightly as she mumbled words that she couldn't understand.

Until one of those words was her name.

"Kyo. It's me, what's wrong?" Sae-Byeok whispered, but Kyo didn't respond, simply holding her tightly. She hugged her back, comfortingly rubbing the back of her hand. "Sh, it's just me. I'm here." She laced their fingers together and continued to reassure her that she was alright while her mind wondered why she was mumbling her name in distress.

A couple of minutes later, the lights turned on and classical music played as people reluctantly got out of their bunk beds and rubbed at their eyes. Sae-Byeok looked down at Kyo, who's eyes fluttered open and met hers, "Morning."

"I had a nightmare again," Kyo yawned, burying her face into Sae-Byeok's shoulder. "How'd you sleep?"

"Great."