gone

TW / / terminal disease, cancer, implied death, mention of death, mention of the afterlife, bit of swearing because wilbur does that kinda

AWN!Tommy is of legal drinking age and probably has a well-paying office job for context. And au Wilbur is just crying throughout the entire thing basically.

It was in Wilbur’s first month cab-driving. He started up the job as a side job to support himself and scrounge up rent money whilst he started his band.

It was a fateful Wednesday night, nothing very eventful minus that one drunk lady but there always tended to be drunk people at night and early morning.

A blond comes into his car at about 10PM, tipsy and a glazed look to his noticeably bright, summery eyes. A shade of bright blue that can stop a person in their tracks, the type of blue that everyone complimented. His hair is light, a blond that reminded him of gold. He apologises, “Sorry ‘’m so drunk, can we just drive aroun’ a lil? Windows down please too.”

He nods, thinking nothing of it and prepping for a cleaning fee. He swears he can still smell the barf from the last drunk woman as he attempts to drive and pulls a vomit bag out of the glove box.

With absent eyes, the boy (he seems so young, his features so childish yet his eyes tell such a vastly different story) just stares out the window, resting his chin in his hand as he watches the towering buildings pass.

“Mister, ‘ave you ever thought about death?” A strange silence befalls them as the brunet attempts to find an answer.

“Who hasn’t?” He decides on something vague, something ambiguous, something that doesn’t reveal too much about himself. In truth, he’s only thought about it in his worst moments long ago. He was working hard to make his band become a thing, he had no intention of giving up on the band nor its members.

The boy giggles softly (he wasn’t even sure he even heard that right in the moment), and continues, “Y’know, I’ve got cancer. ‘s in my brain and the doc said it was too far gone to even cons’der chemo.” He chuckles again and shivers race up the man's spine.

He remembers his heart racing and desperately attempting to keep a guise of calmness as he listened intently. He nods once to show he's listening and strains his eyes on the road.

“I’m gonna die but I'll be okay. Kinda accepted it, ‘m a big man afterall!” He bursts into soft, intoxicated laughter and oh all Wilbur can do is hold back tears and keep his eyes focused on that darn road in front of him.

“I was celebratin’ t’night, coworkers and ev'ryone threw me a go-away party ‘cause they- I t-told ‘em that I was taking a position abroad. They all brought me a ton of gifts and it was so sweet, Tubs and Ran kept crying while congratulating me.”

Fuck he’s supposed to be driving, not drying tears with his sleeve and try to not to crash into other cars- OH FUCK A CAT oh no it’s ok.

“I mean I wasn’t lying, it’s just abroad means up there.” Wilbur watches the boy drowsily point up and yawn. “Heaven seems a little overused, so maybe I want to go to a big limbo of flowerfields and baskin’ in the sun, you get me?”

Jesus fucking christ.

“Oh, you can drop me off here.” He parks carefully, trying not to crash that tree because geez, everything was blurry with tears.

“Bye mister, thanks for listening to me. I’m Tommy by the way!” The boy scrummages around his pocket and pulls out a wad of cash.

“Listen, I’mma give it to you, don’t let your boss or somethin’ take it!” He grins, putting a finger over his mouth, making a hushing noise, and walking off with a calm if not slightly shaky bounce to his feet.

He never got to see him again.

He never got to tell Tommy what his name was.

He counted the money that day, it was £920. He bought his current acoustic guitar with the money Tommy gave him.

He hopes in another life, he isn't just a side character in Tommy's story. Maybe in another world, they befriend each other.

inspired by a real story:

do what you will with that

suffer with angsty oneshots until i can find *book* motivation