Chapter 1: "So, what has brought you here?"

The doorknob moves, and it opens. Despite the rainy night, moonlight still shone from outside into the apartment. The girl standing inside the door frame leaves a shadow inside the light of the moon.

She finally enters her own apartment with a big step.
Looking to her right, she notices the umbrella holder und puts in the wet brown-colored umbrella.
On the left, she reaches for the light switch. Upon finding and pressing it, the living room illuminates.

Now, a girl wearing a distinct school uniform and yellow hair, carefully handled to look like drill-like pigtails, could be seen walking into the living room of the apartment.
After a long day of work, that seemed to never end, she pulls off her white shoes and takes more steps with bare foot.

She walks through the wide living room, now lit.
Through a door, she enters the kitchen of the apartment. The lights are switched on, steps are taken, directly to the water boiler. She grabs it, carrying it to the sink, filling it up and finally returning it to heat the water inside of it. As the water is boiling, she grabs from shelves a tea cup, a small plate, a tea pot and a few bags of black tea.
The boiler finished boiling the water - all she had to do now is to put the water into the kettle along with the tea bags. From there, she could fill up her tea cup.

With all the necessary items, she returns to the living room, and puts both the kettle and the tea cup on top of the small plate on the triangular-shaped glass table in the center of the room. She sits down on the brown sofa next to the table.

The teapot is lifted up by her hand, slowly filling the tea cup with the hot liquid.
Her hand then lifts up the teacup to her face, so it could take a sip.
"Still hot.", she exclaims.

The witches today were no less exhausting than yesterday. But she had taken down a few more than usually this day. It's something that makes her glad, even a bit fulfilled, even though she knows the work she does never ends. And even if it were to end - Regardless of which way it would end, she would not be alive, after all. Death is a fitting rest for a life without rest. Even then, the work is the sole reason she is still alive. If she were to simply not to work, guilt would end her one way or another.

She takes another sip from the tea. It cooled down a bit.
It is cool enough to drink it, but still hot enough that it feels good.

Tomoe Mami, Defender of Justice. That is her name and an albeit involuntary title.
Hunting witches every day until she can't find anymore of them. That was her work.

Looking at her school bag in the corner of her room, she sighs. Mami still had to do some homework, due tomorrow.

Her only real motivation to continue on is her work. Other than that, there is not much, besides maybe the tea.
And as another sip is taken, the doorbell rings.

Some tea is spilled by the shaken-up surprise.
At first, she thought she just imagined that sound. But after a few seconds, it rings again. It sounded more real this time and even more ear-piercing.
She puts down the hot cup of tea and stands up.
Wondering who would possibly ring the bell at this time, let alone at her apartment, she walked up the the door she had entered from before.
Perhaps it is just a delivery guy who got the address wrong. Or it is someone from the church, begging for some donations once again, especially visiting those who have donated to them in the past.

She grabs the doorknob, this time from the other side of the door, and presses it down.

The door opens into the apartment, now illuminating whoever is standing in front of the door. With the light from the inside, Mami could finally see the mysterious ringer.

A small girl with white hair, not older than 10 or 11 just stood there, wearing a pinkish-dress with white polka dots, and did not say a single word. The dress was completely made wet from the still ongoing rain.

Mami herself stood there for a moment, observing the girl in front of her.
She lifts her left arm and stretches it out, showing to the inside of the apartment, not knowing if the unknown girl actually intended to want to enter the apartment.
The girl, actually understanding the motion, walks into the apartment.
As both walk into the house, Mami closes the door, but does not lock it.

"So,"
Mami finally asks the girl, that was looking at her,
"what has brought you here?"