Strawberry Milkshake - Part One

______________

"You call this an 'old fashioned' strawberry milkshake!? Look how runny it is! And it tastes like it expired a decade ago! How can you serve this to people, lady!?"

"Sir, I'm very sorry, If you'd like, I can go back to the kitchen and have it rema-..."

"I dont want a 'sorry' for this! I want to speak to your manager! This is absolutely ridiculous! If my kid took a sip of this, he would've gotten sick!"

The abrupt commotion caught the attention of every single person in the restaurant. I could feel a dozen pairs of beady eyes focused on the back of my head, sending a wave of uncomfortable chills barreling down my spine. I stood there quietly, biting my lip as this obnoxious slob continued to spit petty insults left and right. I was this, I was that. My hands balled into tight fists, causing my chipped fingernails to dig roughly into my palms. I didn't care if his kid was sitting right next to him. I wanted to pick up that milkshake and smash it against his thick skull.

In the corner of my eye, I could see the cook peeking out from behind the service counter. It was the same lazy stoner that made the freakin' milkshake in the first place. He was watching me, too, anxious to see what was going to happen next. Why wasnt he the one getting screamed at right now? If he wasn't so busy texting on his phone, maybe our food would be better! I mean, for f's sake, I'm just the waitress! I don't make anything, all I do is bring the food to the table! Didnt people understand that it wasn't my fault?

'Damn it, TK. Why'd you have to call off today? I know you would've done way better than that other cook.. Unlike him, you actually do you're job; pretty damn well, too. Your milkshakes never taste old and sour..'

"Hello, sir. What seems to be the issue?"

I turned around to find my manager standing over me, giving the raging prick his best customer service smile. My manager's name was Marcus; an older gentleman in his late fifties that had been in charge of 'Dad's Damn Diner' for as long as I could remember. Marcus had the uncanny ability to act like a sweet little bunny, when in reality.. he was a raging bull. I guess it came naturally with being the manager of a two-star diner in a bad part of town. You have to lie to people's faces to get them to shut up. Play the 'Im so sorry!' card, and butter them up until you can get them to leave, or at least stop their whining. My manager was a pro at that.

The brute now turned his attention to Marcus, and began to bad mouth me as if I wasn't standing right next to him. He claimed I was trying to 'make his kid sick', and 'should be fired immediately for my lack of giving a fuck about the quality of our food'. Marcus simply nodded his head to everything, agreeing with all the BS that the customer was spewing.

That ticked me off even more.

"Oh, you'll have to forgive Y/n, she's new!" My manger lied through gritted teeth, patting me on the shoulder, "She's still learning how things work around here. It'll be a few days of trial and error until she's decent at her job. So, until then, my deepest apologies for her negligence. I'll make sure to have a proper talk with her later. Can I offer you a free meal next time for your trouble, Sir?"

His words seemed to hang in the air. Decent. Negligence. New. For months now, Ive given my blood, sweat and tears to this place. I have always worked my hardest to be a good server. Whenever I had issues, they ninety-nine percent of the time weren't even because of something I had done wrong. And even though it was just a lie to please the customer, that sentence still made my blood boil. How could Marcus sit there and act like I was some clueless little kid who didn't know what the heck she was doing? Wasnt he supposed to stand up for his employees?