𝟏 ‣ the great flamingo heist

CHAPTER ONE
[ the great flamingo heist ]

❝ jess, why the hell did you just steal a gnome? ❞

     HARTLEY DODGED around practically the entire student body, her long legs darting out ahead of her in a steady sprint. Her hair was slowly but surely falling out of her ponytail, and her chest was less slowly and less surely heaving up and down. She caught sight of Kanan down the hall and a victorious smile spread on her rosy cheeks. She pushed herself just that little bit farther, almost running into some random freshman. She quickly jumped out of the way, yelling a quick 'sorry!' behind her.

     The second she stepped into line with Kanan he pressed the stop button on his timer. Hartley doubled over, happily taking her water bottle from the boy.

     "And that's... two point three minutes!" Kanan cheered, pumping his fists in the air.

     "Woohoo," she breathed, meeting him for a high five.

     "You broke your record, Lee," Kanan reminded, watching with narrowed eyes for any sign of excitement on Hartley's face.

     "I know, Kan, but if we're gonna beat Chilton this year, I need to get it down to at most two minutes," Hartley sighed, chugging back the last of the water in her bottle.

     "Yeah, well, fuck Chilton," he waved her off, a look of disgust screwing onto his face, "you'll kick their asses, we all know it."

     "Idiots!" Willow shouted from down the hall, her short bob blowing behind her as she stomped towards them, "explain to me why I just got another complaint about Lee almost taking out the entire freshman class."

     "They have to get used to her somehow, the rest of us have," Kanan shrugged, "besides a couple freshies are worth the sacrifice if we get to see Chilton crumble."

     "I told you no more practicing in the halls," Willow reminded, her hands on her hips, "Track practices are after school, and outside."

     "Sorry, Mom," Hartley murmured, "but if you'd like to know, I broke my record."

     Willow tried to keep her stony expression, but anyone could see she was on the brink of cracking a smile, "class starts in ten minutes, that's where your supposed to be, not turning the hallways into a war zone."

    "Sir, yes, sir," Kanan saluted, turning and marching off towards his class.

     Willow turned to Hartley, "you too, Road Runner."