8 - The Attack

I have always been left alone...

Like a bare tree when the snow fell. The leaves are long gone as the cold winter blows. Winter, that is my real name. The name the moon gave me, as if it was meant to tell me of my fate. The white blanket, thick and cold, the canvas for the bright red blood.

They left...

Aiyu.

My pack.

Thalia.

Everyone's gone.

The air is heavy as their footsteps are buried away on the snow. Their silhouettes disappeared and I... why am I hiding in this human form? I don't have to. The promise to live a normal life was already broken. Why do I have to stay like this?

A mirror appeared in front of me, the face and body of my human, yet the monster resides within. I tried to touch her reflection but was met with the ice cracking. Slowly, it broke and dissipated in the wind.

I was left alone again. In this darkness...

I couldn't love him, even if I already did. He is my fated one, yet I couldn't let myself to ruin his life. I don't deserve him or anyone.

I want to return from the start, if only I did not reach for my human, if only I stayed in the dark, this would've never happen. If only.

The darkness encircles me, as I was being pushed back... away from this world. But then, snarling, running, growling... number of eyes glowing, staring at me.

Rogues.

My eyes shot open. The unfamiliar ceiling welcomed me. Where am I?

"Luna?" I found Alice beside me. "Are you alright?" Her concern does not ask for me. I sat up from lying on a strange bed. Right, I fell asleep. I took a few deep breaths so I won't start chasing the shadows in my dream. I had the same dream again, I was being swallowed by the darkness but the rogues interfered. They are here again.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"Uh... our pack is currently under attack BUT it's safe here. The pack house was built with anticipation of an attack. The doors are already locked and only authorized people can enter. So, don't worry." I know that, I don't know if it's normal or not but the presence of the rogues is waking me up. My awareness of them are not helping for my want to take a long slumber. I squinted my eyes, the questions in my head are still echoing that I have to clench my fists to tell myself I am awake. His effect on me seems greater this time.

"Are you alright? You were unconscious." I sighed. If only I have a choice.

"Are they both out?" Chase, as he said, does not want to leave me while Alice's worried look tells that it's about her mate, Jack.

"Uh... Yes." She bowed her head. This is how mates should be – concerned for each other's safety, not resting until knowing the other is out of harm's way.

"Don't worry. I heard they're safe." But for how long? There's something more to the rogues' action. The Alphas probably know of this strangeness.

"Say, the windows and doors are reinforced but what if a fire broke out?" No, I won't cause a fire.

"If the house is not safe anymore, we have an emergency exit downstairs. If I'm right, it leads to a nearby river."

"And where is this emergency exit?"

"There's a hallway next to the kitchen. Hmmm. Why did you ask? Do you think they will attack the pack house?"

"Is your Luna downstairs?"