Chapter One | The House Party

Shelby| September 13th, 2020

Straightening her books and papers, Shelby admired the neatness of her workspace. She had just gotten to ready for the next 2 hours, and was very happy with how clean everything was. Just how they were supposed to be. Nice and neat.

She was very excited to start her sophomore year of university. She had a goal to stay on track of everything. Last year was a disaster, but no matter, because she'd fix that this year. Everything back to normal.

That meant absolutely no distractions: No parties, no dating, no nothing...

Who's that?

A girl in a plaid shirt with dark and messy hair pushed the wooden doors open, walking into the library. The door hits the wall with a slam, and books on a nearby bookshelf hits the floor with a thud. The librarian shushed the girl, who turned red, apologizing profusely. She picks up the books under the steady glare of the librarian, and Shelby silently chuckles at the girls' clumsiness.

Under the librarian's steady eye, the girl finishes picking up the books and stands up.

Looking sheepish, the girl avoided the stares of the other people in the library, hastily making her way to the only empty spot in the library: the chair across from Shelby.

As the girl put her things down, Shelby mouthed a hi. It was quickly returned with a gentle smile; it gave Shelby butterflies.

Right.

No distractions.

She'll be fine.

_____

Toni | September 30th, 2020

One week after college classes started, Toni found herself at a party with Marty, her sister.

The party was loud, electro music booming throughout the whole house. It made her head hurt. She never wanted to go to this party in the first place; she only went because Marty had a huge crush on a guy named Marcus from one of her classes-- he decided to throw a party at his house while his parents were away.

(Marcus was her ex's brother, which made things all the more complicated. Not that she could blame Martha, though. From what she knew, Regan was an amazing girlfriend.)

(Maybe her brother would be too.

For Marty, that is.)

"I'm gonna go get a drink," she yelled, the music playing at an all time high. "Do you want any?!"

"No thanks Toni, I'm going to go look for Marcus. We can meet back here in an hour!" Martha shouts back.

Toni grumbles at Marcus's name. Even though she knows she shouldn't feel jealous, she can't help the bitterness that rises whenever her sister wants to hang out with someone else. Especially considering that this 'someone else' was Regan's brother.

She tries to get over the jealousy and answer back with enthusiasm.

"I'll see you here in an hour, then! Good luck, Marty!" She yells back. The sound of people talking and music playing almost covered up Martha's answer of "Okay!"

______

Toni shuffles into the kitchen, pushing past the bodies that crowds the tiny counter full of drinks and bottles. She pours herself a shot when she arrives at the counter; she doesn't really know what is what--- all she really wants is to get absolutely wasted. It was only a month or two since her ex-girlfriend, Regan, broke up with her.