Heartbeat

They were a strange couple.
Y / N and Daryl.
They were so different.

He was a hunter, part of the Council, the one who was always looking for supplies. He rarely smiled and spoke little.

She was their self-defense teacher, always smiling, caring and kind to everyone.
Oliver liked Y / N.

When he and all the people of Woodbury had arrived at the Prison, his parents had recommended him to always be polite and listen to those people who had welcomed them.
Besides, he was the oldest of the children so he should have be a good example for everyone else.
Oliver felt important and did his best in everything.

The first few days in the prison had been a little ... confused, messy.
There were a lot of people and the cells weren't enough.
A man named Rick had spoken aloud, reassuring everyone and saying that in the following days they would make other areas of the prison safe and, therefore, there would be rooms for everyone.

That’s when he had seen them for the first time.
Daryl approached Rick, asking him something he couldn't understand, then went back to Y / N's side. He had seen them look at each other for a moment, nodding, then holding hands.

At that moment, Oliver had thought they were friends, or maybe brother and sister, even if they didn't look alike.

It had been a long time since that time.
Now everyone had their own cell in the Prison. Everyone had a job, useful to everyone: there were those who cooked, those who took care of cultivating, those who went in search of supplies ...

A Council of 5 people was formed.
Daryl was part of it and it was him, one day, who talked to all the adults, along with Y / N.
Oliver had tried to listen something.

Daryl had said that all children should learn to defend themselves, to use weapons ...
Each week they would have a few lessons with Y / N.

He had heard that many parents disagreed. Y / N had tried to reassure them but without success.
Oliver had seen Daryl grin and then stomp out of the room. He almost ran him out the door. Oliver hadn't time to apologize that he was gone quickly.

The following days he had been careful to behave as well as possible.
His mom had told him that spying was not polite and Oliver was afraid that Daryl might have told his parents that he caught him listening to what was obviously an adult-only conversation.
Yet, no grooming had ever come. Maybe Daryl had forgotten about it or maybe he had decided to let him get away with it, this time.

In his child head, he decided to thank him, showing himself strong and doing the best to become like that man.
So when his parents told him about the defense lessons, he didn't wait any longer and at lunchtime, while they were all in the canteen, he approached Y / N, sitting at a table with Daryl and two other guys who he remembered being Glenn and Maggie.

He had puffed out his chest, his back as straight as he could, and asked when they would have their first lesson. Y / N smiled at him and stroked his head.

-I don't know if your parents agree, baby.- her voice had been sweet, she had looked around her for a while, then she had returned with her gaze on him.
-We haven’t decide yet ...-

Oliver had moved closer and looked at Daryl.
-I want to become like him. I have to learn how to use the crossbow ... or pistols. Can't you teach me? -

Y / N smiled at Daryl as Glenn patted him on the shoulder.

-It looks like you have an admirer! -
-Stop it- was the archer's simple answer.

The following days Oliver had seen his parents talking to the other adults. This time he had not allowed himself to eavesdrop and had remained in the courtyard, looking towards the fence, where Y / N, Daryl and other people killed the walkers who massed.
He had seen them helping and leaning on each other for a few moments of pause and exchanging a bottle of water before returning to grab the bloody irons.