Chapter 1

It's been three years since I was turned into one of those weird tongue things or what the survivors call me, a smoker. I don't eat people, but I see zombies do it all the time; especially the hunters. I've looked everywhere for my lover, Chase, he's one of the Hunters. I ask everyone, but their answers are always, "Who is that? Or I don't know who that is." I went to the roof that my friend, Stacy and me meet on. Stacy is a Spitter. I saw her sitting on the ledge, I grunted lowly at her. She looked at me and hissed, "How's the search been?"

"I'm never going to find him!"

"You've never looked in the Tank or Hunter territory." I am a friend to everyone, so I guess I can go tomorrow morning, "Yeah, I'll look tomorrow." I went to the old mattress that's been on the roof and layed on it. I feel asleep listening to the groans of the infected around me.

I woke up to the sound of screaming and the familiar sound of acid being spit. I sprung up and towards the sounds. I saw Stacy spitting at Brittany, a Witch. "Stop!" I growled loudly at them, scaring the two girls. Stacy looked at me, "She wants OUR food." I sighed and grabbed a stray arm off the ground, "Come here Brit." She walked cautiously around Stacy. I hugged her; Brit is only 11 years old, she's not good at getting food yet, so I usually help her. "Thanks Jake." She ran off towards her territory. "I guess I should get going if I'm going searching again." Stacy waved bye as I jumped off the building and towards the Hunter territory. I was stopped by the guards, "Who are you?"

"It's me, Jake."

"Hey Jake, what are you doing here, I've never seen a Smoker want to come in here?"

"I'm looking for someone by the name of Chase." The guard thought for a minute before speaking, "I personally don't know anyone by the name of Chase, but hope you find them." I smiled and walked past him, there were Hunters everywhere. I asked all the ones I could run into, but no one knew who Chase was. I walked out of the land with a tear almost run down my eye. I went to the Tank territory with my head hung low. I was stopped, "Jake, what are you doing here?"

"I'm trying to find someone who's important to me."

"Well I hope you find them." I nodded and walked past the guard. I asked everyone there, "Do you know a Hunter by the name of Chase; I've been looking for him for over three years."

"Oh sweetie, you could ask my husband, he's over by the cement truck." The girl Tank said. I nodded and walked over to the truck; I saw the big guy and tapped him on the shoulder. "Sir, do you know a Hunter by the name of Chase; I've been looking-

"He's right here." The Tank moved over, the Hunter was eating. The Tank nudged the supposed Chase, he looked at me. I saw the confusion but happiness in his eyes. The Hunter dropped the food it was eating and jumped on me licking my face. It was Chase! "Jake, Jake, Jake!!" he yelled as he sniffed me everywhere. I laughed as I cried happily. I hugged him tightly as he did the same. "I've been looking for you everywhere, I couldn't find you."

"I couldn't find you either, I looked in the Smoker, Spitter, Hunter, and Tank territory for years." He said sitting in my lap.

"I don't live in a territory; I live on a building with a Spitter." Chase was quiet for a second, "I still couldn't find you."

"I know, but I'm here now." I smiled; I couldn't believe I found him after so long.

"Chase here doesn't stop talking about you; he just won't stop talking." The Tank said. I looked at him, "I'm sorry, but my name is Jake, you are?"

"My name is Joe, nice to meet you Jake. I've heard a lot about you."

"There all good things I hope." I smiled at Chase.

"Yes, yes, all good things." Joe leaned on the cement truck. "Hey Jake, can I go with you to where you live?"

"Yeah, you ready?" Chase nodded his head vigorously. We said bye to Joe and walked out of the Tank territory and to my roof. I jumped up to the roof with Chase by my side. Stacy was there target practicing. "Hey Stace," I grunted at her as she turned around, "I found him!" She smiled with her jaw hanging low. Stacy put her hand out for Chase to shake it, "It's nice to finally meet you Chase.

"You too Stacy, Jake talked about you while we were coming here." Stacy looked at me, "Oh really?

"All good things," I said putting my hands up in surrender. She smiled and went back to target practicing. I led Chase to my old mattress and lay on it with him. I kept him close; to remember the times we had when we were survivors.