Prologue

Silence consumes me. Cold fingers lace with mine. His faint smile is the only light in the room. The hospital suite was set up to appeal to his ongoing migraines and exhaustion. He whispers, barely audible over the heart monitor, "I love you; you know that right?" I nod, tears running down my cheek. I lean down and kiss his nose. His eyes widen. Dull blue hair trickles between my fingers and into his eyes.

His heart monitor cries out.

I scream for a nurse.

The nurse demands I leave. Somehow, I end up sitting in a hard hospital chair. Two teenagers are laughing in the Starbucks next door. An expecting couple wait anxiously a few chairs down. The woman must be due any day now. Love is a river pouring from the mans' eyes as he holds her fragile hand and gazes at her protruding stomach.

"Sweetie?" My heart drops. I tear my eyes from the couple and to the chair besides me. A woman, creased with age and kindness, sits with a soft hand on my shoulder. Her eyes are cloudy, and her lips shake as she stares at me. She musters a small smile. "What was his name?" My eyebrows crinkle.

"Pardon?" She smiles, deep sorrow tugging on the corners of her mouth. A thousand unshod tears dance in her golden eyes.

She starts, "When my Jakob left me... I felt the way your eyes look when... the way you look at my grandson, is how I felt towards couples. What is his name, Tochter?"

My eyes widen and I sputter, "I didn't mean to stare, I'm so..."

She waves her old hand, "They are beautiful couple, they are used to it. Annabeth is here if you wish to tell me what is going on, kleine tochter."

"His name is Gizmo... Gizmo Donner...