『 Chapter 3: Dragon Training 』

✵ ✵ ✵

"Welcome to dragon training!" Gobber said, opening the gates.

The seven of you stepped into the arena, "No turning back." Astrid, who was standing next to you, said.

"I hope I get some serious burns!" Tuffnut said to his sister.

She nodded in response, "I'm hoping for some serious mauling, like on my shoulder or lower back."

"Yeah, it's only fun if you get a scar out of it," Astrid said, looking up at the caged-off sky.

You heard a voice from behind you, "Yeah, no kidding, right? Pain. Love it." Hiccup said sarcastically, and you groaned.

"Oh great. Who let him in?" Tuffnut said. You rolled your eyes turning around and standing with the others in a line.

As Gobber was speaking you felt a soft tap on your shoulder. You turned to see Hiccup standing next to you, he held out his arm. Clutched in his hand was your spear.

"You found it?" You asked, carefully taking it from his grip.

The boy shrugged, dropping his arms, "Yeah... I felt bad dragging you into all of this."

A small smile grew on your face, but you quickly cleared your throat, brushing off the smile, "Uh... thanks." You said turning back towards Gobber.

"Let's get started!" Gobber spoke, holding up his hook hand, "The recruit who does best will win the honor of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village."

Snotlout let out a chuckle, "Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so, does that disqualify him or...?" You sent the boy a look. He noticed it and went silent.

"Don't worry. You're small and you're weak. That'll make you less of a target! They'll see you as sick or insane and go after the more Viking-like teens instead." Gobber said, placing a hooked hand on Hiccup's shoulder. Hiccup gripped his ax tighter, uncomfortable at the thought of killing dragons. Gobber continued speaking, "Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you will learn to fight! The Deadly Nadder!"

You heard Fishlegs listing off some statistics, "Speed: eight; Armor: sixteen."

"The Hideous Zippleback." Gobber listed.

Fishlegs let out a small gasp, "Plus eleven stealth times two." You weren't even sure what that meant.

"The Monstrous Nightmare!" Gobber continued. You were slightly annoyed by Fishlegs' commentary.

"Firepower: fifteen." The large boy said causing you to groan in response.

Gobber gestured to another door, "The Terrible Terror!"

"Attack: eight; Venom: twelve!" Fishlegs was getting excited about this.

The blonde trainer turned around annoyed, "CAN YOU STOP THAT?!" The man then turned around, grabbing one of the levers, "And... the Gronckle!"

Snotlout stepped forward surprised, "Whoa, whoa, wait! Aren't you gonna teach us first?!" You were also quite shocked.

"I believe in learning on the job." Said Gobber who then opened the cage quickly. As soon as the Gronckle was released it flew towards the group of you, quickly eating some rocks and firing, "Today is about survival. If you get blasted... you're dead! Quick! What's the first thing you're going to need?"

You looked around quickly hearing the others.

"A doctor?" Hiccup asked.