『 Chapter 7: Forbidden Friendships 』

✵ ✵ ✵

You let out a sigh, "Hiccup, maybe we should just go." The boy sent you a look.

"This is the opportunity of a lifetime, and you think we should just leave?" He asked causing you to shrug.

You nodded, "I'm just not sure how I feel about this. Sure, the dragons have feelings, but that doesn't mean that we should try to tame them!"

"Please." Hiccup sent you a pleading look, "Just let me do this? I'll make it up to you okay? Somehow."

You crossed your arms, thinking through the pros and cons, "Well..." Hiccup leaned forward a little bit, awaiting your response, "Okay." Hiccup's eyes went wide.

"Yes!" He fist-pumped the air, "Thank you!"

He began walking back towards the dragon before you stopped him, "Oh, but Hiccup, let me give you a little advice. Don't force it." The brown-haired boy turned to you confused, "If you try to force the dragon to like you it will get annoyed quickly. Just like people." Hiccup thought about it for a moment before completely turning back towards you.

"Oh, okay." He took a glance at the dragon before sitting down on a rock close to you, "I'll just let it come to me."

You nodded, "Sounds good to me." You said before sitting down on the ground carefully, your leg being broken bothered you. You could barely do anything. You heard some soft steps next to you and looked up. The Silver Phantom stood next to you, "What do you want?" You asked, even though you knew you wouldn't understand it. The dragon flicked its head to the side, revealing the scar on its neck. You were confused, "What?" You asked as the dragon repeated the action, "Oh, sorry about that... You probably don't understand me but we Vikings were born and raised to kill dragons." You paused, glancing at the scar, "My father was killed by a dragon so I don't exactly have the best view of you guys."

The dragon let out a huff, seemingly rolling its eyes.

"Yeah yeah, I get it. I shouldn't judge a dragon before I've met it. Blah, blah, most dragons aren't like that." You mocked it with your hand.

The Silver Phantom turned to face you, its eyes staring into your soul. You made eye contact, it was trying to assert dominance or... something? You weren't exactly sure why the dragon's mood suddenly changed, but you were a little nervous. These things were killing machines, they could pounce at any moment.

You heard rustling next to you and broke eye contact, turning to see Hiccup standing up, "Wait." You called out, putting pressure on your unbroken leg and trying to stand up. Hiccup rushed over to you, steadying you and helping you up. You quickly brushed him off, clearing your throat, "Where are you going?"

Hiccup shrugged, "I was gonna go sit closer to the pond..."

"Well... don't wander off without me." You instructed.

The boy started walking, you hobbling close behind, "You sound like my dad." You could hear a slight annoyance in his voice.

"Well somebody has to." You retorted as Hiccup leaned down, grabbing a stick. He continued walking and then sat down on a rock, you stood next to him.

Hiccup rolled his eyes and began drawing in the dirt. As he sketched out the lines it shaped into a Night Fury. You felt a breath on your back and turned to see the Night Fury peaking over yours and Hiccup's shoulders. The dragon then turned around and walked off. You shrugged, a bit confused before hearing the sound of roots snapping. You watched as the black dragon dragged a tree through the dirt, drawing something. You glanced over and made eye contact with the Silver Phantom, the creature also looked confused as to what the Night Fury was doing.

Eventually, it stopped, standing facing towards Hiccup. The boy stood up and spun around, looking at the lines. He took a step forward, onto one of the lines, as soon as his foot made contact the dragon growled. Hiccup pulled his foot back, looking at the dragon confused. As soon as he took his foot off the line the dragon stopped growling. Hiccup then put his foot back on the line and the dragon let out another growl. Hiccup pulled back again and then stepped over the line, the dragon seemed to purr.

You sat down on the rock next to you, watching as Hiccup navigated his way through the "maze". He turned his body, stepping over the lines and avoiding getting growled at, it didn't take him long to make it to the end of the drawing. Hiccup felt a breath on the back of his neck, he turned around, seeing the dragon standing behind him.

The boy reached forward and went to touch the dragon's nose, but the creature let out a snort and shook its head. Hiccup then closed his eyes and looked away, still holding his hand out for the dragon. The creature looked down at his hand skeptically before pressing its nose against Hiccup's hand. You saw the boy flinch but then quickly relax, he looked up, his eyes wide as he looked at the dragon.

The Night Fury opened its eyes and pulled back, before letting out a sneeze and flying towards the other side of the cove.

Hiccup turned towards you, his jaw dropped, "Did you see that?!" You nodded crossing your arms. He ran over to you, "I can't believe it! That was so crazy!" Hiccup then paused looking down at you, "What about that dragon?" He gestured over to the Silver Phantom.

You took a glance at it before shrugging, "I dunno... I don't think dragons are my thing. Besides, I don't think he likes me that much... still doesn't trust me after the whole "trying to kill The Night Fury thing"." You chuckled, "I wouldn't either."

"She." Hiccup said, you glanced up at him confused.

"What?" You asked.

Hiccup looked down at you, "That's a female dragon."

"How can you tell?" You asked, turning to glance at the dragon.

Hiccup pointed towards her, "Some of the easiest ways are wingspan and size of claws. I read all about it in the book of dragons. Female Silver Phantoms are more protective and nurturing than the male ones, they take care of their own." He gestured over to the Night Fury, "That is why she is protecting the Night Fury, she saw him in danger and is protecting him as if he was her baby." He turned to you, "Once a Silver Phantom creates a bond with another creature it's hard to break that bond unless another is introduced."

You glanced over at the Silver Phantom, the creature lifted its head, watching its surroundings, "So it has a bond with the Night Fury?"

"Yeah, like a mother and a baby." Hiccup responded, before looking down at you, "You should try and gain its trust."

You shook your head, "No way." You crossed your arms, "I'm sure you can tell I'm not a big fan of dragons."

Hiccup shrugged, "Your loss. Maybe just study her first? You might find yourself liking her." You crossed your arms skeptically, not sure whether you should try and befriend the dragon or not.

"Fine." You let out a sigh, "I'll study it first... then I'll see." You glanced up, suddenly noticing the darkness in the sky, "Oh! Wait we were supposed to meet Gobber and the others for dinner!"

Hiccup's eyes widened, "You're right! Man, it's gonna take us forever to get there!" He paused, taking a glance at your broken leg, "No offense."

"None taken." You shrugged.

✵ ✵ ✵