above the will of heaven - nomin

Jaemin dearly loved Jeno. There’s no question to that, everyone is aware, their friends and family.

It is never just Jaemin or Jeno. It is always Jeno and Jaemin .

Jaemin dearly loved Jeno, and Jeno never failed to return his affections. They are two pieces of beautiful art perfectly fitting together. Like puzzle pieces. One is incomplete without the other.

They have had their eyes full of each other since they were just fourteen. Like a cliché high school love story, it all started when Jaemin had developed a little crush on Jeno when he played basketball at their school festival, he was so dreamy and cool, Jaemin was sure he wasn’t the only one who saw Jeno. And to Jeno there was no one else’s eyes he wanted but that one person in the audience, eyes wide and biting his lips in nervousness as Jeno’s team’s opponents made a three-point shot. Jeno smiled at Jaemin when their eyes met in the fury of game and cheers, a silent message that goes, don’t worry, we’ll win this . And that, they did. At that moment they never knew that that one tiny skip of their hearts would someday lead to a bigger, longer, and more enthralling story of theirs.

It was summer when they were fifteen that Jeno had finally had the courage to tell Jaemin that he liked him. Jeno didn’t know what to expect really as he opened his heart out to his best friend over the chilled watermelon slices as they sat at the outer hallway of his grandparents’ house, just sharing the familiar, comfortable sunset glow―but Jaemin only staring at him for a few seconds before continuing to munch on his watermelon slice like Jeno just told him that the sky was blue as Jeno dumbly waits for his reply, wasn’t definitely it.

Jeno cleared his throat, the late afternoon haze of the summer sun was definitely hot and Jaemin staying quiet after Jeno’s confession didn’t help the dried lump the older was feeling lodged in his throat, he felt his palms getting clammy.

So, he repeated, “Jaem, I said I like you…” Jeno gets his attention again, Jaemin’s staring at him blankly, so he bravely continues, “Like like in a romantic way.”

“Romantic like what?” Jaemin asks, face still devoid of emotions but there’s a playful glint in his eyes, just a little bit teasing, pushing Jeno more.

Jeno hesitates, biting his lower lip as he averts his gaze, focusing at anything behind Jaemin, before sighing in defeat and meeting Jaemin’s eyes again. “Romantic like I want to hold your hands, and hug you, and…” He suddenly feels his face heat up under the younger’s stare. Jeno puts down his finished slice, gaining momentum before continuing, “...and I want to kiss you,” he said with a small voice that Jaemin almost didn't catch it.

At this Jaemin is a little fazed, finally. He smiles at Jeno, pink lips stretched wide, showing his pearlescent row of teeth.

"Oh but not now, no, not right now," Jeno shook his head furiously suddenly regretting even mentioning the last part. Why did he even say that?

He knew it's already too late to take it back when he saw the familiar way Jaemin's lips slowly curved into a shit-eating grin, and as much as Jeno adored it, he didn't want it anywhere in sight at that moment.

“Oh, you want to kiss me?” Jaemin taunts, wiggling his eyebrows as he starts leaning towards Jeno a little so his face is above the plate between the two boys, he instantly gets the reaction he wants, Jeno’s eyes stretching wide and his face turning red, he sputters, failing to form any coherent word.

Confirming his effect on the older Jaemin leans back to his previous position laughing, a hand on his tummy as Jeno glares at him.

Having had his fill of baiting on his best friend, Jaemin wipes the tears in his eyes, finally stopping. He meets Jeno’s eyes, and sighs, “Me too,” Jaemin admits. Heart full and happy about finally declaring his feelings and even more now that he knew Jeno felt the same for him.