more than words can say

hi muppets!!! welcome to the first (of hopefully many) cadina oneshots!!! yeeha let's go
im not sure where this came from, it's just a cute little drabble to kick things off :))

there is one paragraph (literally two sentences i think) of smut but the rest is cute fluffy goodness.
enjoy!

—-

If Regina had to pick one word to describe her girlfriend, it would be clingy. Not that she's complaining. It took some getting used to, but she kind of likes always having Cady holding or touching some part of her or another. Holding hands, snuggling, linking pinkies, latched on to her neck while they sleep. It's comforting, helps remind her that Cady is always there for her.

But Regina has a problem.

In addition to the cuddles and clinginess, Cady is impossibly affectionate. She's constantly surprising Regina with little things. A cool leaf she found, a homemade dinner after a tough day, love notes tucked in her lunch bag, little nests on the balcony of their apartment to watch the stars. Regina tries to return the favor, but she always feels like she's falling short. No matter what she does, how hard she tries, Cady just does it... better.

Cady's also always saying 'I love you'. Whenever she feels it. After dinner, just before she drifts off, after Regina gives her mind-melting orgasms, cuddled up and watching a movie. And Regina... doesn't.

She does love Cady, she knows she does. She says it back almost every time Cady says it, but she never says it first. She doesn't know why, either. But she can tell it's hurting Cady, and that's the worst thing of all.

So Regina tries forcing herself to say it.

-

"Um... Cady..."

"What's up, babe?" Cady asks, massaging Regina's lower back gently as Regina has her pinned to their bed.

"Uhm... uh..." Regina continues stumbling.

"Is everything okay?" Cady asks, her hand pausing the soothing motions in concern.

"Yeah," Regina says immediately. "Yeah, everything's fine. Uh... just forget it."

"Are you sure?" Cady asks, tilting Regina's chin up. Regina looks into her eyes and nods. "Promise?" Another nod. "Okay. I love you."

Regina sighs quietly and buries her face in Cady's chest. "I love you too."

—-

A week or so later, Regina tries again. Cady's had a long day of exams, so Regina tries to cook her a big breakfast buffet for dinner.

She remembers about halfway through that she can't cook. The omelets have turned to scrambled eggs, the hash browns are burnt, and the waffles are somehow overdone and raw in the middle at the same time. The only salvageable thing is the fruit salad, but Regina cut her finger trying to make it and now feels it's best to just cut her losses.

"Hey, baby," Cady calls exhaustedly, kicking her shoes off and dropping her keys in the bowl. "I'm home."

"Hi," Regina mumbles, coming to give her a kiss in greeting. "How was your day?"

"Long," Cady yawns, kissing Regina one more time. "Something smells good. And burnt. But good!"

"Oh, uh... I wouldn't go in the kitchen for a while," Regina says, frantically trying to stop Cady before she makes it and sees the mess of dishes and bad food she's tried to prepare. But Cady is too fast and heads down the hall before she can stop her.