33| 𝑺𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝑰 𝑵𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝑮𝒐𝒕 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆

3rd Person POV

It was 5AM in the morning when Hope was woken up by a series of knocks in her bedroom room. She had barely gotten any sleep last night, staying up studying before her finals. That's all she did lately and it acted as a distraction for her, from her dad not being here to her relationship problems going on with Landon- it was all too overwhelming for her. So she spent her days with her mom, half-sisters and aunts and uncles- her family, her comfort people.

She opens the door to be greeted with Kaitlyn's smiling face, causing her to frown in confusion.

"Mom? Is everything okay?" Hope asks as she rubs her eyes and moves out of the way to let her mother enter the room.

"Yeah, all good."

"Then why're you here at 5AM? Did I do something? Are you going somewhere?" Hope fires her questions at her mother.

"You're not in trouble, relax," Kaitlyn chuckles, "you've just been holed up in your room. So I thought we should go out today."

"At 5AM?" she asks as Kaitlyn nods enthusiastically.

"Who are you and what have you done to my mom? She hates waking up early," Hope jokes.

"No, I don't," Kaitlyn retorts as Hope raises her brow at the comment, causing her to sigh, "okay, maybe sometimes I do. But I also happen to be an early-bird sometimes. I love sunrises. Come on, get ready. I'm taking you to watch a sunrise with me from a very special place. Meet me downstairs when you're ready," Kaitlyn tells her with a bright smile before walking out of the room, leaving Hope to get ready for their adventure.

༆☼︎☾︎ꨄ︎☽︎☼︎༆

"Okay, I'm ready!" Hope calls out as she struts downstairs and into the kitchen where she finds Kaitlyn making coffee while playing with Oreo.

"Took you long enough," Kaitlyn jokes as she transfers the coffee into two thermoses and sets Oreo into his playhouse that sat in one corner of the kitchen/living room.

"Liz and Josie aren't even up yet and you're telling me I took too long?" Hope complains as they put on their walking shoes.

"No, it's just you and me. I didn't wake them."

"Why not?" Hope asks in confusion.

"Because it's you who's holed up in her room. Now, come on, we need to talk alone, anyway," Kaitlyn tells her as she ushers them both out of the house and towards their destination.

"We're outside the Grill," Hope sates in a bored tone, "can you even see the sunrise from here?"

"Oh, would you stop fussing?" Kaitlyn complains, walking them both to the bench near the edge opposite to the Grill, "sit here. The sunrise is beautiful from here. For the past 18 years now, ever since I moved to Mystic Falls, whenever things got too overwhelming for me or I needed to relax, I'd come here after midnight and sit alone, admiring the stars and stay to watch the sunrise from here. The transition from dark to light...it's so mesmerizing."

Hope nodded as they sat in silence and soon the birds in the trees begin to chirp as a new day was beginning.

"Do you still come here sometimes?" Hope breaks the silence after a while.

Kaitlyn nods, "I do. This bench...it's kind of like my comfort place. I was here when I first found out about the supernatural world, when I broke up with Damon, when Alaric died, Jerr died, Kol died, Elijah left, Bekah left, Elena died, Stef went missing, so did Bonnie and Damon, when I met Chris, when I lost him, when I found out about the girls...all of it," Kaitlyn reminisces, "I...the first time I ever met Nik was here too."