𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚

─────── • ❥ • ───────

Two years ago...

"Jeno, if I was an ugly crab, would you still love me?" Donghyuck enquired as he crouched over a rock pool and poked a few barnacles inside with a stick.

"Who says I love you now?"

"God."

"I see," the taller watching over him scoffed with a small smile and gazed out over the rest of the ocean they'd all chosen to see together. "What else does God tell you?"

"Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you—"

"Now you're just reciting the fucking Bible. I'm concerned about you."

"No need to be concerned," the male chuckled with profound amusement and stood up before dropping the stick and patting off his shorts. "I'm a perfectly heathy, functioning young adult."

"Functioning, you say..."

"Oh piss off. But still, you never answered my question," he smirked and glanced quietly towards Mark, Chenle and Jaemin by the shore as they splashed water at each other mercilessly even whilst in their clothes. "Would you love me if I was a crab?"

"Honestly, no. I don't think I'd even love Nana if he was a crab, Hyuck. I'd eat you."

"Mhm, I'd be a delicious crab and you'd enjoy me."

"Why are we discussing this?!"

The smaller boy burst into a fit of giggles and nudged Jeno into the direction of their companions. As they made their way over to the chaos in session, the younger cared to elaborate. "I saw it online. Girls like to ask that sort of thing, apparently, and Mark lied to me. If I was a worm, he said he'd still love me."

"That's a massive lie."

"Indeed. But I appreciate the sentiment."

"Did you ask the others?"

"Hell no, they'd say the same thing you did. I only posed the question to you because you're not our boyfriend yet and I was curious to see your response."

Jeno kept his eye on him from his peripheral vision and felt a slight ache in his chest at the way Hyuck had put it. It wasn't like they were going anywhere, but he did need to speed up the process of dating them. He was well on his way to loving them all equally, even if he was still eliminating the remaining bias towards Jaemin. He wanted to spend the rest of his youth with them, and perhaps even more if things could always be this way.