I Was Enough | Prologue

BIRTH

She was born in a high school. Or rather the bathroom of the high school and then left in a trash can to die. A newborn, premature baby girl was brought into this world during school hours. The mother? To this day, no one stepped forward, and it is still unknown. The high school carrying a couple of hundred students and being a proud school did everything they could to silence it. She was found in that trash can and taken to a hospital, but it was not enough for her to suffer the consequences and will live with them for the rest of her life.

ONE YEARS OLD

When she had been one years old she was such a small thing. A fighter she was. She lived in an orphanage but they did not much to take care of her. She was severely malnourished and dehydrated. The girl got little contact with anyone else, and she was left alone in a room most of the time. The little baby sometimes was not alone. There was a little girl, about six years old that would sometimes visit the girl and hold her, being the only one that cares about the baby girl.

FIVE YEARS OLD

Lilliana was the name she was given, and at five years old she has already had more hospital visits than the average person does in their lifetime. So often does she go there that it has practically become her home and the only home that she feels safe. Her body is dying, and it will not be long before her body will be met with death. Lilliana is a fighter and fights with all that she has inside her against the illness that takes her. The Lung Cancer she has is slowly killing her.

SIX YEARS OLD

She was taken in by a foster family which did help her in some way. While they did pay for the girl's medical bills which kept piling up, they did not give her the one thing that the girl has always longed for. Love. Lilliana has always wanted to feel love inside her heart, even as a child and at a young age where she just wants someone to hold her and tell her that she is going to be all right, that everything is all right. No one dud that for her, and she felt unloved and she was sick.

TEN YEARS OLD

The day she became Cancer free was the day that she felt her life begin. Finally, after so many years of fighting, she could start to live. But, she couldn't live. She was in the system, and she barely even had a home anymore. No one wanted to take her. With her sick like appearance and her shaved head, she didn't look like the girl that most people wanted. She bounced around home from home, never finding a place to actually call home. Until she landed with a nice family that wanted her.

ELEVEN YEARS OLD

Her first day with a new family is something that Lilliana was used to, but it made her feel nervous each and every time. Meeting new people did that to her, made her want to crumble down and hide away from the world. She was frightened of them. When she met them they were all right, they were kind to her and they gave her food and water and shelter. But, once again no one gave her what she truly wanted. And when she started her first day of school, her life took a turn to the worse.

FIFTEEN YEARS OLD

School was the worst for her. She was all alone, didn't have any friends and when she tried to befriend people, they would be cruel and awful to her. Not understanding why this was happening to her, the grief took over her. Another illness took over Lilliana, this one unable to be seen by anyone. Unless looking closer. In her isolated state, her thoughts darkened, and she went on a path that was filled with sorrow and pain, with this darkness that even she could not control. Bullied by her schoolmates, and neglected by the family that once she thought loved her, her thoughts only darkened.

SIXTEEN YEARS OLD

She had not been that old when she had wanted to die and leave the world. She truly did not think that she deserved to be alive and she wanted to end her life on her sixteenth birthday. Lilliana found no purpose in her life and no one wanted her, she was unloved and just an outcast. People hated her and made fun of her, they would hurt her deeper than she has been hurt. All she knows is pain and she wished she could get away from it by leaving this world.

TWENTY YEARS OLD

By the time that she had finished her studied and worked for enough money, she moved out from the family that she lived with. She took everything that she owned (which wasn't a lot) and she left and never came back. Lilliana got a stable job and a stable apartment, slightly (or a lot) on the smaller side, but she likes it. Her past is so far away from her, and yet at the same time it continues to haunt her at every corner that it can trap her in.

TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD

This routine came on her life and she liked that routine. Finally after all that time, her life was finally stable and she was doing all right in her life. She did not feel better and inside she was dying, her sorrow only grew with each passing day. She had a purpose and that is what kept Lilliana alive, but even then she did not feel like she was enough for anyone. People at work avoided her, and they never tried to invite her to anything. Lilliana was alone and lost, and buried herself deep into work to forget about the pain and ignore the agony.

TWENTY FIVE YEARS OLD

Marriage was her way of escaping the life that she has led. Her very own Prince Charming. Together they are perfect. At least in her mind. Lilliana's life is the happiest that it has ever been. She is the happiest that she has ever been. And that happiness is about to go down the drain. That Prince Charming turned out to be the villain in her story as well. Cheated and left her for another younger woman that has money for him to spend like no tomorrow, Lilliana is once again left alone and broken.

TWENTY SIX YEARS OLD

Meeting someone like him came only once in a lifetime and her heart has begun beating for him and maybe even for herself. Lilliana has started to see that she might actually be worth it and he's helping her see that. They have gone through a lot since their first meeting. That is just the beginning. The two of them still have a story to write and their journey is still ahead of them. Lilliana will only travel that road if he is beside her and Asher will never leave her alone.  That is where this story begins.