21

"Ivy! Put that down at once!" Esme yelled.

Ivy looked like a deer caught in the headlights of a car. She froze but her hand was still holding the frying pan. Her face dropped as did the pan, which made a 'clink' once it hit the marble countertop. Esme crossed her arms, looking just about ready to chastise Ivy for the whole day. Jasper and Alice could hear the commotion downstairs as they snickered amongst each other.

Ivy wasn't getting in trouble because she was doing bad things. She was getting in trouble because she promised Esme she positively would not clean another thing in the house for a few days.

Everyone could see it, Ivy had been working overtime for the past few weeks leading up to Bella's due date. She was just anxious and worried, like everyone was, when she was a human, cleaning really helped with her nerves.

"Go sit down by Carlisle!" Esme ordered, pointing at her husband, who had an amused smile on his face. His arms were crossed as he stood by an ottoman near the front door, watching the whole thing unfold. Ivy stayed silent, sitting down cross legged on the ottoman. Carlisle laughed, petting his newest, youngest daughter's hair as she pouted, tapping her thigh with her finger relentlessly.

Before Carlisle could speak, the sound of a loud motorcycle rang through their ears. Carlisle raised a brow, giving a look at the two women. They gave him the same puzzle look.

Ivy didn't even need to see him to know it was Jacob. She could tell by the musky, rainy smell of dog flooding her nostrils as she cringed. She was very bothered by the smell.

Carlisle opened the door to see Jacob, who looked ready to argue. Ivy rolled her eyes, as if the drama in her own life wasn't enough.

"Is it true?" He questioned.

"Hello, Jacob. How are you?" Carlisle greeted politely. Jacob's brown eyes scanned the room. Ivy waved at him, a small smile on her face. She no longer needed to hide from him, he already knew about her through Sam's mind.

"Ivy." He acknowledged. She was just as pretty in Sam's thoughts as she was in real life. Jacob turned to Carlisle.

"Listen, just give it to me straight." He demanded, Ivy could see his hands trembling as he gestured them.

"Jake? Is that you?" Bella could be heard from upstairs as she called out weakly.

Jacob's eyes widened a little, tilting his head to the side like a dog would if it was confused.

"She's here?"

Before Carlisle could give him an answer, he was already jogging up the stairs.

"They came home two weeks ago." Carlisle replied, trailing behind him. Ivy climbed up the railings instead of walking up normally. She was upstairs before they were. Ivy made her way close to where Alice and Jasper were. She stood behind the seated couple. They brightened up at the sight of her and Alice grabbed her hand affectionately.

"Jake, I'm glad you came." Bella called out, all eyes were on Jacob. He could barely see her, with Rosalie blocking her.

"Close enough." Rosalie warned as he tried to get closer. Their shoulders were touching.

"What's your problem?" He demanded, staring her down. She glared daggers at him. You could cut the tension with a knife.

"Rose, it's okay."

Only at the command of Bella did Rosalie move away. Still, she had her eyes glued on Jacob as she moved away. Emmett had his back against the wall, watching the whole thing.

Jacob found his way on an armchair as he took a good look at Bella. Ivy could tell she was uncomfortable at his reaction.

"You look terrible." Jacob said in a joking way, but Ivy knew he meant it.

"Yeah, it's nice to see you, too." Bella deadpanned. They stared at each other for a split second. Bella looked like she was about to cry.

"Rose, you wanna help me up?" Bella asked, turning to the blonde. She helped her up and as the quilt fell off of Bella's body, Jacob gasped. She looked like she was about to pop at any moment. Bella was heavily pregnant.

Ivy saw Jacob's face go from shock, to horror, to disgust, then to anger in under 10 seconds. Under different circumstances, Ivy was sure she would have laughed at any moment.

"You did this!" Jacob looks accusingly at Edward.

"I didn't know it was even possible." He says in his defense.

"What is it?"

Carlisle shrugged, "I don't know. Ultrasounds and needles won't penetrate the embryonic sac." Ivy watched his expression, which remained calm throughout.

Alice chimed in, "I can't see it either. And I can't see Bella's future anymore." Ivy rested her hand on Alice's shoulder to comfort her.

"We've been researching legends, but there isn't much to go on. What we do know is that it's strong, and fast growing."

"Why haven't you done anything?" Jacob accused, rising to his feet. "Take it out of her!"

Rosalie had rushed to shove him off, "This is none of your business, dog."

"Rose!" Esme chastised, "All this fighting isn't good for Bella."

"She's right, this is just extra stress for Bella." Ivy finally spoke, breaking her silence. Bella sent her a thankful look.

"The fetus isn't good for Bella." Alice protested. She didn't share the same sentiments of having a baby as Rosalie, Esme, and Bella did. Ivy and Alice didn't want to be mothers.

"Say the word, Alice. Baby. It's just a little baby." Rosalie growled at the two sisters.

"Possibly." Jasper corrected, raising a brow. It was the first time he spoke. Emmett had been silent for the whole time. He didn't feel like it was his place to say anything.

Jacob turned to Carlisle, a pleading look on his face.

"Carlisle, you've gotta do something."

"No, it's not his decision. It's not any of yours!" Bella's opinions and protests were mostly ignored by all. Ivy only stepped out of the room when Edward pulled Jacob outside to talk. She had enough of drama in one day.

Ivy stalked up into her semi-empty room. She sighed, collapsing on her bed. She didn't need to sleep anymore, but Ivy used to love lounging in bed as a human. She still loved to relax on her bed now. It was even better with Sam.

She couldn't understand why she was still thinking about him in that way. Edward expected her to loathe Sam for all of eternity for turning her into a blood-sucking monster.  Edward had some sense of what it felt like to imprint though he wasn't quite sure because he'd never experience that. He also thought she would hate Sam forever or at least always resent him. Anytime Edward read her thoughts about Sam made this to be untrue. Ivy was still in love with him, still deeply in love. As was Sam, due to the imprint. Edward knew that if Sam could choose who to imprint on, he'd definitely not choose Ivy. At least not after what he did to her. Edward didn't necessarily like Sam, nor did he hate him like the rest of his siblings did. He still did feel bad that Sam was going to have to live with the guilt of killing his imprint for the rest of his life.

Ivy was confused herself as to why she still loved him. She wondered if he still loved her. He seemed like he did the last time she saw him, maybe it changed after she yelled at him. Maybe it changed after he killed her. Ivy couldn't remember the last time she yelled at somebody like that.

All her dreams for the future, her hopes, crushed by him. Still, she worried for his safety every single day. The case with the newborns were still very risky and even after Victoria, the redheaded vampire's death, there was always a chance of more vampires.

Then there was also the Volturi to worry about.