Chapter Fourteen

The fire is softer come morning, Zuko finishing up the last of his breakfast. Iroh had wandered off into town for supplies, spending the last of their coins. After this, they'll be back to being poor. Scavenging for scraps. He looks up when Kali walks into the cave, her hair is wet but drying, she's obviously found somewhere close by to take a swim. He'll ask where later. He stops hearing her moving and he sighs a little. She can be quiet when she wants to be, can move silently. He can feel her though. A warmth to her. Despite her being cold a lot, there is a heat that she radiates.

"What?" He asks, not looking up at her, but feeling her eyes on him from close by.

"When are you going to teach me to read?" She asks, he smiles a little and looks at her, finds her standing right at his side. She gives him a look, because he did say he would and it's been weeks now since he mentioned it. She is right to ask him. He tilts his head.

"We can start now, if you want" He offers, she pulls her bag around her side and sits next to him. She then holds up her manual and he shakes his head. "I'm not going to teach you to read that book" He argues, taking it from her and sliding it away from them. He's not going to read those horrible things to her, and he certainly not going to teach her to read those things. "I have a book..." He counters. "A better one" He touches her arm and pulls her closer as he picks up the children's book from his side before holding it out to her. She wrinkles her nose, can see the images and the bright colours. It's clearly meant for children. Little children. She looks at him and he gives her one back as he scoots closer to her, opening the book in her lap. She sighs but she understands. She's starting from scratch. From the beginning. Like a child. Which makes her feel stupid. He sets his leg behind her, tucking his other under himself so he can help her properly. Knees touching one another. He brushes her hair back over her shoulder so he can watch her face. To make sure he's not overly confusing her because she likely won't say so for fear of upsetting him.

.......

Kali takes it back. She doesn't want to learn to read anymore. It's too hard. Too hard. She's never going to get it. She flops back and groans, her head actually hurting. Zuko smirks a little, taking the book from her lap and sets it aside.

"You're doing fine" He assures her as he turns to look down at her. "Who knew you were so impatient?" She opens her eyes to glare at him.

"Maybe I'm not..." He stops her with a look and she pouts a little.

"You know that annoying determined thing you have about teaching me to cook?" He starts, she smirks and nods. "Right well, I will teach you how to read" She huffs a little, now she understands why he finds that annoying. If she sounds like that. He brushes her hair from her forehead and out of her eyes, she wrinkles her nose.

"Did I thank you?" She whispers, he shakes his head. "Thank you, Zuko" She tells him. "You and your uncle...." She doesn't really have the right words to tell them how grateful she is for them, for Iroh buying her, for setting her free, for Zuko to be accepting of her being part of this. He could have argued with Iroh, he could have stomped his foot and made Iroh get rid of her. But he didn't. He let her stay. He showed her kindness. Behind them, Iroh wanders back into the cave. His eyes instantly landing on Kali and Zuko on the ground, close together, staring intently at one another.

"Ah" Iroh offers and Zuko leans away from Kali, turning away a little.

"I'm going for a walk" Zuko pushes himself up and then leaves the cave without looking back. Kali looks down at the book, the alphabet book that he gave her to learn from. She sighs and then pulls her knees to her chest. She's still not sure she can get it.

..........

Later, Iroh sits cross-legged within the cave in front of the fire when Zuko returns carrying a basket of 'goodies'. Loot. He went out as the Blue Spirit again. Opting to change their lifestyle. Living in a cave is one thing, but having to live like animals is another, and if they can spruce it up a little then maybe it won't be so bad. He drops the basket in front of Iroh who raises an eyebrow at it and then at Zuko.

"Where did you get these?" He asks his nephew.

"What does it matter where they came from?" Zuko argues and heads towards his bedroll.

"Hmm..." Iroh opens a box of pastries and takes one to eat it, he smiles as pink goo drips from his mouth. "Mmmm!" Zuko frowns and looks around the cave.

"Where's Kali?" Zuko asks.

"She went for a walk" Iroh answers, mouth still full of food. Zuko glances to the cave entrance and purses his lips. It's dark out there. Iroh glances over the things in the basket that Zuko brought back with him, none of which he could have afforded to buy. They have no coins left. Having spent the last of the change that Kali took from that man. "Looks like you did some serious shopping" Iroh comments as he takes out and inspects a gold teapot in front of him. "But where did you get the money?" Iroh asks, side-eyeing Zuko.

"Do you like your new teapot?" Zuko asks, completely ignoring his uncle's question.

"To be honest with you, the best tea tastes delicious whether it comes in a porcelain pot or a tin cup" Iroh answers. "I know we've had some difficult times lately. We've had to struggle just to get by" Iroh glances at Zuko. "But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honour in poverty"

"There's no honour for me without the Avatar" Zuko counters. Iroh looks at him sadly.

"Zuko" Iroh sighs. "Even if you did capture the Avatar, I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now"

"Then there is no hope at all" Zuko snaps a little.

"No, Zuko!" Iroh argues, firmly. "You must never give in to despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength" Zuko looks back at his uncle for a moment, then leaves. He walks away from the cave and decides to go looking for Kali. He can find her, which will kill some time, give him a moment to calm down before returning to the cave.