Chapter 1: We all wear masks

Edward is in his mid 20's. He's got short brown hair and is quite thin, although he has a noticable gut. He stared at his phone in the dark room, it's currently 12 am and he can't sleep. He hears the door clicking open and his girlfriend Sandra walks in. She's a beautiful girl with back curly hair and is very fit and has brown eyes. She's clearly drunk, her dress is slightly messy and her hair is frizzy. She stumbles into bed and passes out. Edward sits silently for a moment, he then gets up and drags his body through the house.

He picks up anything his girlfriend dropped and locks the front door. He looks at his small apartment, it's not anything impressive, barely livable if he's being honest... but Edward is never honest. That means you gotta be brave and take risks and Edward doesn't do that, because of that people think he just doesn't notice but he does.... He notices all of it

The next morning he wakes up and gets ready for work. He enters the washroom and hears Sandra wake up. As he leaves the washroom they greet each other. He smiles "Morning honey" Sandra notices this and smiles back "Mornin Ed. Ah sorry if I made a mess, I went out for drinks last night and.... Went a little hard". Edward waves this off "Oh that's fine. I'm glad you had fun".

They start getting ready for work. There's a deafening silence as the two get ready, they act like the other isn't even there, Sandra them looks at Edward "Hey remember your dad's friend said his present should be here today" Edward nods and they continue getting dressed. Afterwards they eat breakfast and Sandra drives Edward to work. They walk to the front door but then a few guys walk up to Sandra. She talks to Edward but she doesn't even look at him. "Hey Ed you go inside. I gotta talk about a... Project."

Without another word he walks inside. He feels the stares of his co-workers but he doesn't know if it's real or in his head. He sits at his desk and starts typing away. He hears his co-workers comments.

"Isn't he the dude dating Sandra?"

"Really? That guy? He looks like every before and after picture if you removed the after"

"He's also a really weird guy. I sometimes just see him staring into nothing for like the longest time. It's off-putting"

"Man I wish he'd just transfer or something."

Edward takes a deep breath as he clenched his pencil in his hand. He thinks to himself 'Oh really?! Well you lousy fucks are the ones obsessing over me! Damn rats just circling me. I wish I could put their head in between two lawnmowers and turn them on! Watching their heads turn into bloody confetti!' Edward then gets a message from his boss, she's making him work overtime again.

'Doesnt even have the damn decency to tell me.... Oh who am I kidding? That lard ass probably couldn't get out of the chair to tell me! Ugh I need to calm down... Ms. Kathy isn't being personal, It's just work.' He sighs and continues his work like a machine, just typing away as he blankly stares at a screen. As the hours pass it's becomes off time. Sandra walks up to him with a smile "Heeey babe. I'm going to hang out with a few friends ok? There's this Halloween party at the club" Edward looks at her with slight disappointment "Uh you sure? I was thinking we could hang out... You don't even have a costume"

She sucks in her breath and rubs her arm "See I would but they reeeeally want me to go. Plus Melissa got me one so don't worry." Edward sighs and nods "Alright have fun." Sandra hugs him "thanks babe! I'll be home late!" She quickly rushes off with a smile and Edward forces one. He then groans and puts his head in his hands, barely keeping himself together "Why am I like this? God I really am pathetic."

Ms Kathy walks past him with a sympathetic frown. She's quite chubby and has blonde hair. She always dresses in a red button up shirt and black skirt with black heels.  "Oi Mulligan... Forget about the overtime. Go home ok?" Edward is taken by surprise as he looks at his boss. He then smiles "Thanks boss. I really appreciate it" She waves it off "Don't get used to it... Hey you should dress up and come too. Most of the office is going anyways." Edward thinks about it for a moment.

"I'll... I'll see what I can do." Kathy smiles and walks off. A while later Edward gets a cab home. He stares out the car window, trying to think of something to wear. He gets to his apartment building and when he reaches the front door he sees a package. He picks it up and gets inside. "Huh. It's from dad's old friend in edge city..." it has a note reading that it's a birthday gift. Edwards happiness drops when he reads the the note fully. "He got my name wrong... This isn't even a late birthday gift. My birthday is in December... Whatever." he opens the package and looks at the inside in confusion

"He sent me a mask?"