Chapter One

[[Warnings: Not really any. Minor consent/peer pressure issues but nothing happens.
Notes: Thanks to Hournites for beta reading!
Prompt credit: emswritingprompts]]

When Courtney Whitmore graduated high school she'd likely be voted Most likely to meddle . As that was her best talent whether she was behind a mask or just behind on her homework. She was dead set on doing just that this week. She headed down the stairs where she was happy to see Pat in the kitchen. She slid across the wood floor in her socks, letting herself glide up to the island, using it to stop herself.

"Hey, Pat!" She grinned. "Question."

Pat threw the kitchen towel he was using up over one shoulder as he turned to face her. He was already skeptical . "Ask it." The words were almost reluctant.

She drummed her fingers on the tile of the counter. "What's that game that old people used to play? To make people like make-out and embarrass them?"

"Do you mean a kissing booth? Also, don't you kids all have Google on your phone now?"

"No, this is like a party game? Something about eleven minutes. I did Google it and nothing came up."

Pat did not like the turn of this conversation. "Yeah, um. Barb!" Pat called through the house.

Courtney's mother appeared in the doorway. "I was right here," she said, carefully affixing one of her earrings. "What's up?"

"Courtney has some questions about old party games." He patted his hands down on her shoulders casually.

"Oh, are you having a party? How fun." As she entered the kitchen she saw Pat trying to leave. "Where are you going?"

"You know? I gotta go ... walk Mike."

"Walk our son?"

"Yeah he's not getting enough exercise from the paper route so you know." He made a looping gesture with his hand. "I'm gonna make him do a couple laps around the block.

Barb gave him an amused look. "Alright." She looked back at Courtney. "What do you need, honey?"

"I was trying to find the name of a game. There's a time limit and you like, make your friends make out? Eleven minutes? I tried to google and got nothing."

"Do--" Barb paused for a moment. "Do you mean Seven Minutes in Heaven ?"

"Is that what it is?"

"Maybe ... That's like. You draw names from a hat, and then you lock them in a closet for seven minutes. It's a kissing game." She was starting to realise why Pat had, as Mike had taught her recently, 'noped' out of this conversation. "Why?"

"I was just wondering." She hummed.

Barb nodded. "Alright then."
-
When Courtney Googled 'Seven Minutes in Heaven' she knew this was perfect. All she had to do was set the scene. She unlocked her phone and clicked over to Cameron's chat.

Hey are your grandparents still out of town this weekend?

Cameron texted back moments later: Yeah. Why? Do you wanna come by Friday? (:

Courtney: I was thinking we could do a movie night with everyone, but I didn't want to invite myself and everyone to your ESTATE without asking.

Cameron: It's not an estate. But of course. I'm just sitting here by myself. Invite Joey too.

Courtney: Why wouldn't I invite Joey? He's in the group chat?

Cameron: Right yeah sorry.

The following Friday, Yolanda knew exactly what Courtney was up to. She didn't like it. She made that clear for the third time. "I don't know what you're planning, but I think this is too far."

"Ugh," Courtney touched her arm lightly. "It'll be fine." The group was just starting to settle in when Joey arrived.

He entered a bit awkwardly when Cameron got the door. "Sorry I'm late! I walked."